SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did the glove test and failed it.

Got the Volvo genuine parts from IPD, and looking to replace the entire PCV system,
This is the kit i got : http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4989/115029-pcv-breather-system-kit-2002-c70-s60-v70-xc70-turbo
I can only find youtubes and writeups from 850´s and older v70´s and my engine looks somewhat different.

Have done some searches on here and on google and youtube, but would love it if someone could point me in the direction of a writeup/youtube for the specific engine im about to tackle.

I´v been informed about the PTC and cleaning out the throttle body so i got a gasket for that as well.

Pictures and pointers would be great.

Thank you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not too familiar about the turbo engines but maybe this DIY from the R forums is useful?

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...OW-TO-Replacing-PCV-Breather-(Crankcase-Vent)

Out of curiosity, what is your current mileage, how often did you change your oil and what type of oil did you use?
Thanks,
I also found this :
http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/engine.htm#487754928

Car is 2002 volvo v70xc 185500 miles. had the car since 184800 so its new to me. Changed the oil when i got it and put Mobil 1 full synth high mileage oil in it.
Don´t know what the previous owner used.

Went to Autozone and got brake cleaner, throttlebody cleaner, shop towels and a fuel line disconnect tool as suggested in the write-up above.
And finally invested in some mech gloves :)

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Done

Did the glove test again and sucks the glove right in now.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Now use synthetic and change it every 5K miles

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was fast. Could you tell where it was clogged up?
I was not able to tell where the clog was, blew through all the hoses covering the respective openings where there where two.
The breather box seemed fine and the two ports in the block had little to no buildup, shoved a ziptie down into the lower port, no resistance.
Cleaned through PTC thoroughly as well, don´t think there was any clog.

So no idea where the block was, but its sucking vacuum now :)

@JRL, Yes, thank you. Mobil-1 Synth high mileage good? its whats in there now.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any decent synthetic oil should do, but if you want to over-analyze things like me, an oil with low NOACK volatility would be best to keep the PCV system clog free. Pennzoil Ultra is a great oil overall and it has a very low NOACK. More details in my post here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?234693-Freedomfries-V70&p=2570139&viewfull=1#post2570139
Yes i saw that! great write up.

Looks like the mobil 1 oil i put in the car is up there, so ill keep using it.
Thanks !

Thoughts on the whole thing with the pcv not being clogged, but still not working like i described ?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I was not able to tell where the clog was, blew through all the hoses covering the respective openings where there where two.
The breather box seemed fine and the two ports in the block had little to no buildup, shoved a ziptie down into the lower port, no resistance.
Cleaned through PTC thoroughly as well, don´t think there was any clog.

So no idea where the block was, but its sucking vacuum now :)

@JRL, Yes, thank you. Mobil-1 Synth high mileage good? its whats in there now.
I like Mobil 1 but I'm not so sure about the high mileage stuff. Apparently what makes an oil high mileage is that they put an additive in it to expand oil seals as an attempt to fix or prevent minor leaks. I'm not so sure that's a great idea. It may very well be a non-issue but I stick with Mobil 1 Extended Performance or regular Mobil 1 if I can't get EP. And like Jim suggested 5k mile OCI for a healthy PCV system no matter what type of synth oil you use.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like Mobil 1 but I'm not so sure about the high mileage stuff. Apparently what makes an oil high mileage is that they put an additive in it to expand oil seals as an attempt to fix or prevent minor leaks. I'm not so sure that's a great idea. It may very well be a non-issue but I stick with Mobil 1 Extended Performance or regular Mobil 1 if I can't get EP. And like Jim suggested 5k mile OCI for a healthy PCV system no matter what type of synth oil you use.
Thanks, yes, i will go with the regular stuff next time, don´t like the additives too much either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts