SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was about to tackle the haldex and rear diff oil change, and got a bit confused being under that car, as it looks like there is only the rear diff, and no haldex.
Could it be i don´t have a haldex that needs oil changes?
Took some pictures, hope i can be pointed in the right direction.
Was only able to find one fill plug.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Right, yes, same for the front.

I was under the impression that i had a haldex coupling and that i needed to change the fluid on it. Looks like i only have a rear diff with no Haldex, and that i can change that fluid with the same fluid as in the angle/bevel gear, just looking for confirmation, so that im not putting wrong fluids in where they don´t belong.

Using Mobil 1 75w90 for the diffs.
Or could/should i use heavier oils?

Im currently in California, and its been around 80-95f

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
75w90 GL-5 both in the angle gear and rear diff is fine.

The Volvo branded fluid is labeled 75w90 GL-5 for the angle gear, and 80w GL-5 for the rear diff, but there are no problems with using the same fluid for both. I wouldn't use a heavier fluid as it can affect how the parts are lubricated. The angle gear and differential rely on splash feed lubrication.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
75w90 GL-5 both in the angle gear and rear diff is fine.

The Volvo branded fluid is labeled 75w90 GL-5 for the angle gear, and 80w GL-5 for the rear diff, but there are no problems with using the same fluid for both. I wouldn't use a heavier fluid as it can affect how the parts are lubricated. The angle gear and differential rely on splash feed lubrication.
Great, thanks!

Will proceed to replace fluid.

There is some leakage/oil sweat around the unit which seems quite old, lots of grime around there.

Can i use a pressure washer to wash some of this grime off?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
No, not cool.
Haldex system is a HUGE improvement over the old V/C system

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
^^^WTF

anyway, Worldin I've noticed a funny phenomenon lately whereby when someone posts something they are doing to their vehicle, or a problem they are having, my own attention drifts to the same area on my own vehicle, and I begin to fear there's a problem there :) now I'm worried my Haldex/angle gear is weeping too much or leaking. Going to investigate later.

Edit: arrgh. Think this is happening: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?154871-Fluid-Leaking-After-DEM-Heat-Shield-Install from when I installed the IPD DEM protector cover. I'll have to Jack the car up and check the bolts. Only just noticed the weeping and smell from dripping on the exhaust yesterday and have looked/worked under the vehicle several times since installing the DEM cover so hopefully haven't lost too much fluid. Sorry for the thread Jack :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^WTF

anyway, Worldin I've noticed a funny phenomenon lately whereby when someone posts something they are doing to their vehicle, or a problem they are having, my own attention drifts to the same area on my own vehicle, and I begin to fear there's a problem there :) now I'm worried my Haldex/angle gear is weeping too much or leaking. Going to investigate later.

Edit: arrgh. Think this is happening: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?154871-Fluid-Leaking-After-DEM-Heat-Shield-Install from when I installed the IPD DEM protector cover. I'll have to Jack the car up and check the bolts. Only just noticed the weeping and smell from dripping on the exhaust yesterday and have looked/worked under the vehicle several times since installing the DEM cover so hopefully haven't lost too much fluid. Sorry for the thread Jack :)
Yep, notice the same thing in me.
Both my bevels are loosing some oil, at the moment i am keeping an eye on it. no pooling or anything.

@JRL, i suppose so, my thinking was that i have 1 less part that´s expensive if it where to fail.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
@JRL, i suppose so, my thinking was that i have 1 less part that´s expensive if it where to fail.
http://www.awdwiki.com/en/viscous+coupling/

The disadvantage of a viscous coupling is that it engages too slowly and allows for excessive wheelspin before transferring torque to another wheels. This is especially critical in automatic all wheel drive systems - when cornering under acceleration, the rear end is engaged with a slight delay, causing sudden change in the car's behaviour fron understeer to oversteer. Also, when taking-off in sand, front wheels can become bogged down before all wheel drive is engaged.
In an attempt to reduce the coupling's activation time, VW Golf MkII Syncro always transfers 5% of torque to rear wheels (this is achieved by rear driveshaft rotating slower than front driveshaft in normal conditions, causing viscous fluid warm-up and slight solidification).
At the same time, pre-tensioning the coupling too much leads to undesireable transmission wind-up and makes the system too sensitive to uneven tread wear on front and rear tires. This is why Volvo first reduced the pre-tensioning in 2000 and then replaced the viscous coupling with Haldex clutch on their all wheel drive vehicles in model year 2003 (Volvo s60 has Haldex since 2002). [1]

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
ALL angle gears made before the 2007 model year will begin to "weep".
Keep it clean and keep an eye on the fluid level but when the "weep" becomes bigger and you see fluid on the ground, it's time to have it resealed.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
What's this fluid changing thing? Oh right I have FWD . On a serious note. One tip for the pre-Haldex cars, keep an eye on your treadwear and never drive more than 5 miles on your spare. Buddy of mine blew his diff on a 99v70xc. Same awd system as your 2002 xc70. His diff blew up big time on the half hour drive he had left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the tip, got new tires, and will keep eye on it.

@JRL thanks, yes will keep an eye on this. Is it ok to use pressure washer to clean the area?

@Antherzoll always learning something new :) thanks for the info. Good to know that my awd system might kick in late, that way i don´t get any sudden surprises.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
JRL thanks, yes will keep an eye on this. Is it ok to use pressure washer to clean the area?
No problem with that. You can pressure wash ALMOST everything, just be careful on the top of the engine area

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
If your angle gear doesn't weep it's time to stop driving--you're out of gear oil.

And yeah, uneven tire wear will kill visco AWD. The AWD will also work better after a few miles of driving because the visco fluid needs to be warm to function properly (which is why the rear is over driven by the front, it keeps the fluid toasty). AWD is also locked in reverse (at least it was in then P80 AWD cars so I'd assume the same here), and disabled when braking.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice thanks for all replies, is there a fluid you can change for the V/C?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts