SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just picked up a very clean 2002 2.4T AWD with about 37k miles on it. I'm going to use it as a Daily Driver to keep the miles of my Raptor. I'm a little concerned about what I should do first. It runs strong but power seems to surge when its under load if I have the A/C on. I'd like to get that problem fixed. I'm also concerned that I should be changing the timing belt soon since it is 10 years old now. Also, I think a brake fluid flush is pretty high up on the list.

Thanks,

AB

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
My 02 AWD did the same thing
Many do this, so unless it's super bad I wouldn't worry about it.

Changing the belt would be a good idea for time
Make sure you buy a complete kit with both tensioners.
(Clean S60 BTW)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Check the tranny fluid, wouldnt hurt to do a tranny flush considering the 2001-2002 had tranny issues if not kept up with. Looks like this person kept up with this car cosmetically atleast based off the trim still being black and not faded. Very clean S60 though. Any mods planned or are you gonna keep it relatively stock?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good call on the transmission. I didn't know that the 01-02s had any issues. I'll get that done too when it goes in for the timing. I know for sure that I'm going to get the 17" Black Pegasus wheels from IPD. I'm not sure how much modding I will do. I used to have a 2006 S60R that this 2.4T is going to have a hard time living up to unless I put in a whole lot of money. I will probably do the IPD swaybars at very least.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Check the tranny fluid, wouldnt hurt to do a tranny flush considering the 2001-2002 had tranny issues if not kept up with. Looks like this person kept up with this car cosmetically atleast based off the trim still being black and not faded. Very clean S60 though. Any mods planned or are you gonna keep it relatively stock?
It's a servo issue. The transmission fluid should be changed regularly. But the B4 Servo upgrade from iPD fixes the shift flare issue.

When I hear 'tranny issues' I think of stuff like GM 4-Speed Volvo used in the I6 S80s and XC90's that had poorly modified valve bodies.

As far as the car goes. Check the Angle Gear fluid and make sure it isn't weeping. Also you can swap the fluid/filter in the DEM to keep the Haldex system working well I believe.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
B4 Servo Cap update ordered. I'll make sure the Transmission has the latest software update when I take it into the dealer for the TB service.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I installed the B4 Servo Kit today when it came in. It was pretty straight forward except for getting the new cap back in. That 10mm bolt that IPD includes as a fulcrum to pry against the Cap just didn't work for me at all. There is no room to get a screwdriver in there and even if you do get one short enough, it just doesn't give you enough of a mechanical advantage. I finally had my brother-in-law push in the cap with the end of a 36" pry-bar and he was easily able to hold it while I installed the snap ring.

I discovered that the fluid in the transmisson is pretty dirty and smells burnt. Its still red just not bright red like it should be. However, a few drops of oil fell out of the B4 piston and it was black. Is that normal?

Anyways I guess I'll be flushing the transmission next Wednesday when I get paid and can afford 12 quarts of 3309...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts