SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a lot of history here, but I'll get straight to my question.

Original owner, 2002 V70 XC, 184,000 miles. The XC has "needed" a transmission for nearly 84,000 miles, and just recently started giving up the ghost, dropping gears at times and periodically displaying a CEL and "TRANSMISSION SERVICE REQUIRED" message. A local Volvo independent can replace the transmission for about $4500 (includes a 3 year warranty). Here's the rub: the XC also needs the following:

PCV service
Upper and lower engine mounts
Possible power steering pump replacement
Tires (before winter)
Front and rear rotors and pads (not squealing yet)
Sway bar end links
Rolling on original shocks and springs, so those need to be replaced
Timing belt and water pump were replaced at 115,000 miles, so they'll be due soon too

We love the XC platform, so much so a few weeks ago we bought my wife a 2006 XC90 and I sold my Toyota Land Cruiser and agreed to take the XC70. The car is in excellent condition, and shows like a car half its age and mileage. We are struggling with the decision to fix the XC70 or cut our losses and replace it. Another used Volvo, more than likely a wagon, is at the top of our (my) list of replacement vehicles.

Thoughts?

Brian

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
No

·
Registered
331 Posts
That's a lot of expensive work to throw at a car with almost 200k miles. Personally, I would take the money needed for repairs and put it (along with the trade of the '02) towards purchasing a newer, lower mileage XC.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevin, thanks for your input. The XC70 as it sits is worth $1000 at Carmax. I have thought about parting it out, but my wife doesn't like that idea.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I agree with JRL and Kevin. You're going to end up putting $8000. into the car. You can find a nicer XC for that money.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Kevin, thanks for your input. The XC70 as it sits is worth $1000 at Carmax. I have thought about parting it out, but my wife doesn't like that idea.
Take it
Wholesale (trade in) is about a grand to 1500 and that's without needing anything major!.
It's old, it's worn out
Buy a newer, better XC

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You've run it for almost 200,000 mi and put nothing into it as far as repair/replace. Dump it and consider it to have been a very good investment.

The alternative: replacing the trans (may or may not last as long) new PCV and T-belt are for a serious long-term relationship. IOW, you had better plan to keep that thing until it passes 300,000, which sounds like at least 5 more years. Obviously tires and brakes are wear items and you could find yourself replacing them sooner than wanted if you buy any used car to replace the XC. But IDK how you got that kind of mileage out of the original struts/shocks. Chances are that if you do the above repairs, you will dig our all sorts of things that to be addressed that you have been able to ignore so far.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You wont get much for it if you part it out. I tried parting out a P1 and it didn't bring a lot of attention. Ended up selling it whole!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Has the transmission fluid been changed ? You could try changing the transmission fluid and mixing in some CAT (Caterpillar) TDTO (30 Weight) to thicken its viscosity - shot in the dark recommendation though, it could make the situation worst. I just remember a thread on a GM transmission being rebuilt and the rebuilder recommending CAT TDTO fluid to thicken the transmission fluid's viscosity. I realize they are completely different automatics. IF(big IF) the transmission straightens out you then could buy tires keeping in mind you could swap them over to a newer P2 XC70 if you buy one in the near term.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input.

To be clear [and fair], we have put money into this XC70 (several sets of tires, two sets of front and rear brakes, timing belt, water pump, battery, serpentine belt, pulley, end links, air filters, spark plugs, etc.). If we were to replace the transmission and make the other repairs we would plan to keep the car for a minimum of three more years. Again, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Sell it and buy a newer/better one. My 2003 has 155k and I will be upgrading to a 2006 XC90 2.5T or a 2007 XC70 Adventure Edition in a year.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Thanks for all the input.

To be clear [and fair], we have put money into this XC70 (several sets of tires, two sets of front and rear brakes, timing belt, water pump, battery, serpentine belt, pulley, end links, air filters, spark plugs, etc.). If we were to replace the transmission and make the other repairs we would plan to keep the car for a minimum of three more years. Again, thanks for the input.
I don't consider putting tires, brakes, batteries, belts or plugs to be "putting money into a car." They are wear items. Fixing ETMs, clutches, AC compressors, drive shafts...You mention none of that, so you got through 185K pretty easy. Proof its a good car.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
It is better to get a newer XC than to continue to repair the current one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts