SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble removing the upstream o2 sensor just before the cat. I have the 22mm o2 sensor socket tool but can't seem to get it to budge. I am going at it from underneath the car that is on ramps. I have tried putting some penetrating oil on it and letting it soak but to no avail. I think my next step is using a torch but I have never done that before. Any tips or tricks?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
758 Posts
In this kind of situations I use a steel pipe over the handle of the wrench to make a longer handle and let me apply more torque.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried a cheater bar but my cheap ratchet had too much play in it I think. I can get about 15-20 degrees of flex and then I run out of room hitting the frame. I'll see if any neighbors have a high quality 1/2" driver. I am using a 3/8" with a foot and a half cheater bar.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The money you're saving by doing it yourself always justifies buying better tools. Go get a good 1/2" breaker bar from sears, or harbor freight if you're cheap.

Also you can jack the car up higher to get more room if you need it, just make sure you have solid footing on the jackstands.

Are you replacing the sensor or the exhaust? If replacing the sensor, cut the wires so you can get a better wrench or an impact wrench on it. If you're replacing the exhaust, unplug the sensor and work on it with the pipe out of the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I'll try jacking the car up to get more clearance. I did try the 1/2 breaker bar but it had too much flex to it and couldn't get a enough leverage with it. I'm just replacing the sensor. I was tempted to just cut the cable and break of the sensor part and try and good old fashioned socket on it. I'll see how I fair on the weekend. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ok I'll try jacking the car up to get more clearance. I did try the 1/2 breaker bar but it had too much flex to it and couldn't get a enough leverage with it. I'm just replacing the sensor. I was tempted to just cut the cable and break of the sensor part and try and good old fashioned socket on it. I'll see how I fair on the weekend. Thanks for the help.

Either get a torch on it and then crack it loose or literally drench it in PB blaster and let it soak over night (with cold exhaust. Boiling PB does not smell good)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts