SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am the owner of a 2002 S60 T5 with 227,000 miles. The car has served me well for all these years and I love it. However, just like an older person, the car is slowly starting to break down. For example, I just had to pay $800 to replace the trap (can't remember the exact name) to address a coolant leak. In last month, another $ for fuel injection issues. Anyway, immediately after solving the coolant leak issue, my car had a strong smell of a chemical that I cannot describe. Then I filled up my tank and immediately after that, i've had a very strong smell of gas inside my car. I've also noticed that when starting my car, sometimes I have the move the key in the ignition before the car engages. Not sure what is going on.

Anyway, long story short. I have been spending $ on the car and before going to the mechanic once again and shelling out $$ I want to know if there are inexpensive troubleshooting steps that I can take to address the gas issue and the starter issues before going to the mechanic again.

I am finally to the realization that I may have to buy a new car but cannot afford it right now. Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Check this out, may or may not be valid for you:

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39/~/recall-220

With my 01 S60 I noticed fuel smell suddenly and when I filled up would see fuel drip under the middle of the car. I removed my rear seat bottom & access plate, and had a puddle of gas on top of my tank.

My closest dealer was over an hour away, they paid to tow the car up there and replaced parts under this extended recall with no out of pocket to me. (car had ~150k miles and was like 10 years old, so far out of normal warranty)

May or may not be what's going on, but it could be something more in your list to check

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check this out, may or may not be valid for you:

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39/~/recall-220

With my 01 S60 I noticed fuel smell suddenly and when I filled up would see fuel drip under the middle of the car. I removed my rear seat bottom & access plate, and had a puddle of gas on top of my tank.

My closest dealer was over an hour away, they paid to tow the car up there and replaced parts under this extended recall with no out of pocket to me. (car had ~150k miles and was like 10 years old, so far out of normal warranty)

May or may not be what's going on, but it could be something more in your list to check
Thanks for the tip. I contacted the dealer and my car already had the car serviced for this recall.

OK, so here is the status on my car. I took the car to my mechanic and he said that the fuel pump needs to be changed. $900. At this point I have a dilemma.

My car is a 2002 with 226,000, it is in pretty decent shape. The engine still sounds great, cold AC, turbo still awesome, rebuilt computer. It has a rebuilt title and an unresolved coolant leak issue, although it is not as bad as it should be. My dilemma is...I want to fix the car so that my teen can learn how to drive in, plus the insurance is low. HOwever, I don't want to spend $900!

I made up my mind and will be buying a car in the next couple of months but need to build my credit a little more.

I thought about fixing the car myself but I am pretty petite lady and think that this task may be a little bit for me. Plus, doing it in the heat of Texas does not sound appealing.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I contacted the dealer and my car already had the car serviced for this recall.

OK, so here is the status on my car. I took the car to my mechanic and he said that the fuel pump needs to be changed. $900. At this point I have a dilemma.

My car is a 2002 with 226,000, it is in pretty decent shape. The engine still sounds great, cold AC, turbo still awesome, rebuilt computer. It has a rebuilt title and an unresolved coolant leak issue, although it is not as bad as it should be. My dilemma is...I want to fix the car so that my teen can learn how to drive in, plus the insurance is low. HOwever, I don't want to spend $900!

I made up my mind and will be buying a car in the next couple of months but need to build my credit a little more.

I thought about fixing the car myself but I am pretty petite lady and think that this task may be a little bit for me. Plus, doing it in the heat of Texas does not sound appealing.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks
Maybe ask the dealer if they would warranty the work? There is a lifetime warranty on parts installed by authorized dealers, maybe the service manager would take care of it.
http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9411/~/volvo-lifetime-parts-&-labor-warranty

Otherwise seeking out some help locally, the instructions don't look terrible, but it's more than an easy oil change.
Here's one quick resource I found: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49352

Rock Auto has a Bosch pump for around $140 (https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...fuel+&+air,fuel+pump+&+housing+assembly,10147 ) so if you have anyone mechanically inclined to help, you may be able to get it done for much less.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Lifetime warranty only applies to parts that the customer paid to have installed. Items replaced under warranty do not have lifetime replacement. So that's not going to be an option unless they want to goodwill it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts