SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I check craigslist for cheap S60's in my area every day. My family owns a 2003 that they picked up in mint condition, my sister drives it and every time I drive the car I fall in love with it. I currently own a beat up 97 Corolla that gives me lots of trouble in the winter. I found this 2002 Volvo S60 in my area. The craigslist post was very transparent, and the owner seems to be knowledgeable about the car. The car has 126k miles and the owner is asking $2250. Here are the highlights from the owner:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Volvo s60 is my girlfriend's vehicle. She recently got a newer car and we have no need for it anymore. She has owned this car for a few years now. This Volvo has been religiously maintained by us and its previous owner. We have almost all of the maintenance records to prove it. We have regularly changed the oil every 3000-5000 miles using Mobile 1 full synthetic. This car was babied!

As with any 13yr old car, it will not be perfect. There are scratches, dings, and minor mechanical problems all of which will be listed here. However, the car starts up every time and is in great running condition, and is virtually rust free. It will last a long time if properly taken care of.

Work besides typical maintenance that we have done to it:
- Timing belt and water pump at ~100K
- Battery replaced
- Transmission fluid change
- Ignition coil replaced
- Struts, strut mounts/bushings, and strut bearings all replaced within 10k miles
- Thermostat replaced and coolant flushed
- Sway bar links
- Trans-axial motor mount replaced with up-dated version (old ones prone to failure)
- Hood release cable updated (old ones also prone to failure)
- Parking brake/e-brake shoes replaced
- Front passenger side wheel bearing/hub assembly
- Two new front tires (bought in august)
- Just replaced the tail light bulbs this week

The interior is in amazing condition with no cracks, or tears in the dashboard or seats. There is some wear on the driver side door handle, and the cup holders are loose.

Now onto issues with the car: known issues:

-Brake pads and rotors should be replace soon
-Driver side window can be finicky during colder weather
-AC does not blow cold. It needs to be recharged with refrigerant.
-There was an engine code P0442 evaporation system small leak. There was a small evap hose that had a small crack, I sealed it and cleared the code three weeks ago and drove it for a week, and I still drive it some days (60mi/day commute), and it has not come back. I'm not sure how long my seal will last though. The hose may need to be replaced in the future. This does not affect any driving or mechanical operation of the car. It is explicitly for emissions.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the surface, this is the most thorough post I have seen from a private sale in my month plus of looking. How big of a deal are the AC/Window/Evap hose issues? Would you all recommend the car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you view the car and find it in the condition expected and believe the maintenance as advertised, then it sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Make sure that if you test drive the vehicle you pay close attention to how the transmission shifts. In and out of park and drive. As well as through the gears once its hot. Early S60/V70's had numerous issues with transmissions.

Is this a base or Turbo car? If turbo make sure you feel a noticeable pickup above 2500 rpms, if you don't and it stays relatively flat it could have turbo related issues, mainly pressure hoses and reference lines.

Also the AC issue could be as simple as the seller described and need refrigerant, if so there is still a leak somewhere. They don't typically lose refrigerant unless there are leaks. Otherwise, the compressor clutch can wear and cause intermittent issues. I shimmed my compressor clutch and it hasn't had problems since.

Sounds like a nice vehicle and they took care of some major maintenance items. If it checks out on the test drive and is as described it is a good deal. Even better deal if its a turbo!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Make sure that if you test drive the vehicle you pay close attention to how the transmission shifts. In and out of park and drive. As well as through the gears once its hot. Early S60/V70's had numerous issues with transmissions.

Is this a base or Turbo car? If turbo make sure you feel a noticeable pickup above 2500 rpms, if you don't and it stays relatively flat it could have turbo related issues, mainly pressure hoses and reference lines.

Also the AC issue could be as simple as the seller described and need refrigerant, if so there is still a leak somewhere. They don't typically lose refrigerant unless there are leaks. Otherwise, the compressor clutch can wear and cause intermittent issues. I shimmed my compressor clutch and it hasn't had problems since.

Sounds like a nice vehicle and they took care of some major maintenance items. If it checks out on the test drive and is as described it is a good deal. Even better deal if its a turbo!
I second all this, when I first got my ca( wasn't there when they purchased it), there was no noticeable pickup above certain RPM, turns out the Turbo was leaking, hoses are all over the place( had to replace every single hose and every turbo related pipe), and we had to strip half of the interior just to fix the AC, just make sure to inspect all the essential stuff because fixing stuff was pain for me, and I am sure it will be for you if you don't pay attention to the little things.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Agree on the trans. Be sure to drive it at least 20 min, 30 is better, and make sure you are coming to complete stops and accelerating like a normal driver, not Granny Goose or Mr. Magoo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts