SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I had a post before trying to figure out this 2002 Volvo s60 with starting issues.After alot of research and a quite a bit of help from covert24 (thanks again) I broke down and got a dice with 2014 vida.
The symptoms was the car will turn over all plugs fire once then stop.After running Vida I am getting two codes CEM-6c48 Transponder Type Faulty and CEM-1a5d Communication with ETM Control Module even though I was able to run the ETM test on it in Vida.
VIda does show that the key is inserted and see's it as key Number 1 and showing a total of 3 keys were made for this car.All the computers are in green when in Vida so I assume they are communicating with each other ? still trying to figure it all out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and if there is some test or things I should be checking in Vida please let me know thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
of for the transponder code please check to see if the key is approved by the cem and ecm

if this is a turbo s60 then u have the old etm mostlikely its faulty like most of them were.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Going to shoot from the hip but usually the cem itself can be the culprit for not sending signal to start the car. If you have other keys and they start the car ok,then I would say its that particular key is faulty, but if you are having issus with all the programmed keys and your antenna ring IS GOOD, most likely its the cem.

As the other poster stated, the etm are crap. Most likely it needs replaced, we were doing these under warranty by the boat loads, esp when the P2 S80 came out . they were originally white sticker etm's then yellow,now were back to white lol.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The Magnetti Marelli ETM was from '99 to '01 for turbo, and only on '02 NA engines. The white or yellow label can be seen on these units if you look under the intake manifold and it is a big rectangular box under the intake. ON the NA cars, the ETM is on the driver side of the intake manifold, and the plastic hose from the air filter goes into the ETM.

So unless you have a non turbo car, you have the Bosch ETM, which causes far fewer (but still a few) problems. If you have the non turbo car, XEMODEX sells a rebuilt ETM that should not cause problems. What the bad ETMs sometimes do is flood the CANbus with messages, and sometimes other modules report problems, when the situation is really that the ETM has overloaded the bus with fail messages. So, if you have a turbo car, then the ETM is less likely to be the problem. If a non turbo car, then both could be at fault at the same time. The CEM checks for the proper key, and sends a message to the ECU to start the car. It will crank once or twice, then stop if it is the wrong key. The immobilizer hard at work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like the Transponder Type Faulty code is going to be one of my main problems.According to Volvo dealership that code means either bad key or bad antenna ring which I already replaced.Since they mad the key 3 months ago they are going to replace it for free.Then I will try and sort out this ETM code.The car is a non turbo base model I have heard if the ETM is bad the car would still start but will be in limp mode.The car ran perfect before the key was lost then had a new one made at Volvo since then the car has not started.
Also the car will turn over all day after I pulled the plugs they all would fire one time then stop.Is there a certain area of the Vida/dice that I should be using to see if the CEM sees the key as the correct one.I am still trying to figure it all out.Thanks again for the reply's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wouldn't there be more codes if the cem was bad other then 2 ? I have seen people with bad cem's but they had a ton of codes,I did look over the cem there is no signs of damage such as water if anything it looks like new.The car does turn over its just that something tells it to stop firing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts