SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stumped and looking for answers. I recently had my car repainted (I know a guy who resprayed the car for $500) and when it came back, the rear carpet was soaked. Note, front carpet is dry. I ran a dehumidifier in the car for a few days which seems to have helped but I did end up unbolting the seats and pulled out the rear carpeting to let it air dry.

I do have experience with this car leaking. The front driver's carpet was wet with antifreeze from a busted heater core which I fixed last year. The front passenger's carpet would sometimes get wet if I drove with the AC on for extended periods in the raid.

But the back has me stumped.

Before you say leaking sunroof, let me stop you. All four corners drain properly.

Before you say evap hose, let me stop you. There is a large puddle of water under the car when I run the AC.

Perhaps the minions at the body shop left the rear windows open? I never use or check the backseat, so I have no idea how long it was wet -- only that it was very wet.

I have on various forums seen an issue with air blowing out of the vents under the front seats. But there aren't many details.

Help!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Is the water there after rains or after running the A/C? Is it definitely water and not coolant?

If its water there is ONLY a couple sources - Sunroof drains, A/C drain or possibly door seals. In order of most common repair on a NON-WRECKED car - 1-Sunroof, 2 A/C Drains, 3 Door seals..

Use a water hose and spray pressurized water at each individual door and around the sealing area. One at a time. Check floorboards with carpet out...Move on to the Sunroof run a water hose directly on the glass and see what happens. Even though you get some flow from each drain in a small rain storm, torrential rains can envoke a leak if the drains are marginally clogged. The run the A/C...If you've confirmed the A/C drains are clean and the tube is connected you should be good there... Also, Don't forget to check the windshield for good measure.

If its coolant - Heater core/O-rings.
**btw, an evap hose will never cause water to puddle in the floorboards ;). It's not related to anything inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
515 Posts
When the front carpet (underneath) gets wet, the water travels to the rear carpet as well. On the car's frame 'bump' where the two front seats attach, there are 2-3 holes through which the water travels between the front and the rear floor. I put expandable foam on these holes - for both front seats - so next time my front carpet gets wet, the rear ones will stay dry - as you notice it's the rear carpets that are the more difficult to remove to let dry

As for the sunroof, my advice is to run water to clean them at least once every summer for people leaving in dirty urban areas. I found the hard way that the drains will clog even when the sunroof is never opened, simply by the dust in the rain drops that goes past the sunroof seal -and this seals always leaks a little

As for your specific situation, is it possible the paint garage left a window open in rain ? Or just the door not fully closed ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
My guess is that the painters wet sanded the car before application of fresh paint. That would be done to improve the adhesion of the coating. They must have used a high pressure washer to get rid of the residual material left on the surface after wet sanding. Someone noticed that the back seat was wet, and toweled it down. The rear carpet was overlooked. Just a guess, based on what you have provided. If there is another cause for the wet carpet, it will likely get wet again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update. Took to dealer AND independent Volvo shop. Neither could find anything wrong. I ended up pulling out the front seats and then the carpet and let it dry for a few weeks. Had dealer inspect it with carpet out. They couldn't find anything. Has not leaked since. So, I am blaming it on the body shop. My friend owns it, and basically repainted the car for $500, so I can't complain too much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am stumped and looking for answers. I recently had my car repainted (I know a guy who resprayed the car for $500) and when it came back, the rear carpet was soaked. Note, front carpet is dry. I ran a dehumidifier in the car for a few days which seems to have helped but I did end up unbolting the seats and pulled out the rear carpeting to let it air dry.

I do have experience with this car leaking. The front driver's carpet was wet with antifreeze from a busted heater core which I fixed last year. The front passenger's carpet would sometimes get wet if I drove with the AC on for extended periods in the raid.

But the back has me stumped.

Before you say leaking sunroof, let me stop you. All four corners drain properly.

Before you say evap hose, let me stop you. There is a large puddle of water under the car when I run the AC.

Perhaps the minions at the body shop left the rear windows open? I never use or check the backseat, so I have no idea how long it was wet -- only that it was very wet.

I have on various forums seen an issue with air blowing out of the vents under the front seats. But there aren't many details.

Help!
Leaking windscreen. Worldwide problem with Volvo. Just push it at the top to see if there is play in it. No bonding across the top of the windshield. Just replace the windscreen and dry out the carpet but watch for rust on the windshield pillars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts