SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: 2001 XC auto dimming rear view mirror anyone? (OilAnalyst)

They are not interchangeable. But you can buy a used mirror from eBay and switch the mirror element only if you have mad skillz:<p> <A HREF="http://turbobil.com/SMF/index.php/topic,108.0.html" TARGET="_blank">http://turbobil.com/SMF/index.php/topic,108.0.html</A> <p>edit: Coming to think of it, I might be able to get a few Volvo mirror elements, but that will be four weeks from now at the earliest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: 2001 XC auto dimming rear view mirror anyone? (Mika)

Remember that the mirror (Upper Electronic Module UEM) stores remote info and if you install a used one your remotes will not work. Also, any installation of used modules will result in difficulties to load any software updates or fixes.<p>Gazz

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: 2001 XC auto dimming rear view mirror anyone? (volvogazz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>volvogazz</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Remember that the mirror (Upper Electronic Module UEM) stores remote info and if you install a used one your remotes will not work. Also, any installation of used modules will result in difficulties to load any software updates or fixes.<p>Gazz</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I do remember that quite well. That's why I made a lengthy write up on the topic.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Excellent writeup, I'm definitely going to do this at some point. I did find a wrecked S60 with a manual flip-type mirror, I figure if the auto-dim electronics fit in the flip-type housing, that'd be a permanent fix with less chance of me messing it up during the repair. But I was dying to know if anything like this was even possible, so thanks!

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I wanted to update, I just did this and it worked like a charm! <p>I also confirmed that you can retrofit your auto dimming electronics into a flip type mirror, if your glass tests fine (which would mean the problem is somewhere else). The circuit boards are exactly the same with some missing components on the flip type. <p>I grabbed two mirrors (one of each type) from the boneyard of a local volvo shop. If the autodim ever fails again I'll just install the flipper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: (stoddarj)

The mirror on my 2001 V70 xc has what looks like a big blob of light brown oil in the middle of it. Very annoying. Is there any way to fix this or should it just be replaced?<p>I have seen self dimming mirrors for later models that have reading lights on the bottom. Will those interchange with the one on my 2001?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (VolvoVirgin828)

Replacement is 4-$500<br>A used one won't work, it has to be "mated to your car" or nothing, locks, alarm will work!

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Re: (VolvoVirgin828)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>VolvoVirgin828</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there any way to fix this or should it just be replaced?<br></TD></TR></TABLE><br>Two ways to fix it. Replace the whole assembly ($$$$) or just replace the glass, as shown in the link in the second post.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Replacement is 4-$500<br>A used one won't work, it has to be "mated to your car" or nothing, locks, alarm will work!</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Unless you follow the instructions in the link in the second post, and replace just the glass. Used ones work just fine for that.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: (stoddarj)

EDIT: I got one perfectly good and tested mirror glass for sale <A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zeropost?cmd=fshow&id=37" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...id=37</A><p>I could sell one mirror glass now for $150 (shipped) or do the fix for $300. The car is out of commission during fixing. I don't have a cheap source for the glass currently since there was no interest at the time I offered, and I passed on a deal.<p>I will need about one week lead time to get the mirror glass.<p><br><i>Modified by Mika at 8:34 PM 10-13-2009</i><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by Mika at 8:34 PM 10-13-2009</i>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: (Mika)

Mika, the mirror in my 2004 S80 has failed, I can see the liquid across the glass, like it is a half full tank or something. I was quoted USD $880 to replace it at Don Beyer Volvo in Falls Church, Va. That's crazy expensive.<p>Assuming it was just the glass part of the mirror needs fixing, could I use your technique to replace just the glass ? Or is this not a practical option ?<p><br>

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: (OverClocker)

Yes, you can change just the glass. I'm not sure if s80 has the same mirror but I still have one s60 mirror glass available.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing someone retrofit the old "flip" type mirror as Lloyed Dobbler suggests. An auto-dim delete. That would be cool, just as long as the locks and other electronics worked out just fine.<p>Personally I can't stand the auto-dim feature nor it's over-complicated, over-priced "technology". Meh.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
It will work perfectly, you just have to find one. The housings and circuit boards are all interchangeable. I verified this when I repaired mine.<p>I have one but I'm not letting it go, because I expect to need it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts