SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on top of the fact that the previous owner fried the area where you insert the break light bulbs and I not figured a way around that, the front passenger turn indicator bulb only works when it feels like it. The bulb lights up when the turn indicator is turned on, but there is barely any light coming from it, on top of this it sometimes lights up completely and then goes back to not working properly.

The other large problem that I have is involved with the key not turning when placed in the ignition. This is similar to when the steering wheel locks, but does not involve it. You place the key in and it will not turn even to the accessory position. I was told by the previous owner when this happens to pull the key out and put it back in over and over until it turns. This seems like a problem with whatever tells the ignition that the right key is in, but it works 90% of the time, it usually only happens when it is inconvenient.

I can give more info if anyone has any ideas. Please help as I don't have the money to get it serviced by a professional.

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
You can replace the taillight assembly to fix the brake light issue (unless it's part of something in the sheet metal, your description isn't particularly specific :) ) and wrecking yards are getting more and more full of these cars so buying a used one shouldn't break the bank.

The key not turning is something I've heard about more on the older generation volvos where the only solution is to replace the key cylinder, and do it quickly before you can't start the car at all. Usually caused by one of the previous owners being rough with the key against the steering lock and forcing it to turn, or having a massive keychain that put a lot of load on it, or something like that. Just worn out.

As for the front turn signal, I'd start by removing the bulb and socket and cleaning the contacts with a small piece of sandpaper, or simply insert the bulb 4 or 5 times in a row to scrape the contacts. They get corroded with age. Also best to replace the bulb with brand new, just to rule out a weak link there. It also could be as simple as not having the connector firmly snapped on all the way. These have a spring wire retainer that can be sticky.

Good luck!

·
Registered
578 Posts
When my front indicator started acting up I replaced the bulb with a new one and it still was acting up so I bought a replacement socket for $15 (comes with bulb) from the dealer and haven't had any more trouble with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts