SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just wanted to see if my AWD was actually working and it finally snowed here today so I got a chance to have some fun! Is the AWD on a 01 XC supposed to be this slow? it works and I have been able to get the back end to kick out from time to time today just not consistently (this was only for testing purposes!).

the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvNV8NL5GMY

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Was it initially done cold? The viscous fluid in the coupling has to be warmish which is why the rear is overdriven... it keeps it warm.

Viscous won't be as fast as haldex because you're relying on a non-Newtonian fluid rather than a computer detecting wheelspin and actuating clutches. For reference a haldex II car will send power back after 1/4 a wheel revolution and a haldex III car will send it back after 1/17 a wheel revolution.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Found this video sort of calming/mesmerizing for some odd reason :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
That does seem slow for an 01. We had an 01 and after the viscous fluid warmed up, it was pretty responsive
https://vimeo.com/147456653

This video shows barely any front wheel spin before power is sent to the rear

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to meet up with a local who has two 2001 V70XCs and see if hes got the same reaction time. I had warmed the car up driving around for a while before doing these test. I understand the VC setup is slower to react than the Haldex, i just wanted to see if this is normal or there's something wrong. if mine is reacting too slow but working would that mean angle gear oil is low? rear diff fluid? I didn't see any major leaks when I was there last week doing the down pipe and there was a slight play in the angle gear but nothing out of the norm.

my S60Rs AWD test.
[video]https://youtu.be/1Sf0vbUCXpI?t=34s[/video]

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I'm going to meet up with a local who has two 2001 V70XCs and see if hes got the same reaction time. I had warmed the car up driving around for a while before doing these test. I understand the VC setup is slower to react than the Haldex, i just wanted to see if this is normal or there's something wrong. if mine is reacting too slow but working would that mean angle gear oil is low? rear diff fluid? I didn't see any major leaks when I was there last week doing the down pipe and there was a slight play in the angle gear but nothing out of the norm.

my S60Rs AWD test.
[video]https://youtu.be/1Sf0vbUCXpI?t=34s[/video]
Diff fluids won't play a part in visco AWD engagement... Was it warmed up?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Diff fluids won't play a part in visco AWD engagement... Was it warmed up?
yes the car was warmed up and i had been hooning a bit before finding this spot.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
any ideas as to why the engagement of the rear wheels would be that slow?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm just about to complete an '01 rebuild with 100k miles. Took the propshaft out to save on wear. After seeing these videos it has to go straight back in!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm just about to complete an '01 rebuild with 100k miles. Took the propshaft out to save on wear. After seeing these videos it has to go straight back in!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
when working properly AWD is awesome!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Ours had about 150k in the video I posted. I definitely engaged pretty quick, maybe a few wheel spins at most. You should definitely compare it to another 01 or 02

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so yesterdays snowfall game me some great time to test the AWD system. after turning the car and letting it warm up for a few mins and I drove it and floored it when turning the rear end kicked out but after the car got warmed up i just got heavy understeer. same thing this morning car was on for 5 mins drove it and floored it turning right and the rear end kicked out. after a 15 min drive tried the same stuff and nothing, tried it multiple times. I had the car on a lift today, after the oil change turned the car on put it in Drive and all the wheels were spinning. any idea what would be causing that? what can i look for to get it working properly? similar thing happened to my R but that's haldex, plugged in VIDA told me the pump was bad. replaced it and its been perfect since but this VC system is new to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts