SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I've got a 2001 V70 T5 with a tune and some other small stuff putting out 15psi. I'm looking at a complete intercooler kit replacement for my car due to the increased boost and the stupid heat that we get in the summer, plus the fact that it's got almost 250k miles on it. I've been trying to decide on whether a FMIC or drop-in replacement like the d088 one is the best for my car. Both sides claim theirs is the best but I'm looking for real field-tested answers. Prices for both kits are equally horrible (Canada) so I'm mainly looking for performance difference. Thanks!

·
Registered
357 Posts
FMIC probably won't give you many benefits with a light tune. From my own googling and following builds the intercooler only really comes into play when you start hitting stage 2 numbers. I would save for a manual swap first then go for bigger numbers. I have the same car you have except 10,000 more miles and driving in stupid hot heat in virginia will just kill boost no matter how big the intercooler is. You might be like me and just wait for boost season to start. Be thankful you have a hot season it helps us save gas lol.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm in Saskatchewan so temperatures go from extreme to extreme here. Gets up to ~ 104 F in the summer and down below -15 F in the winter (right now), on the days where it's around 14 - 32 F my car just goes nuts. But the heatsoak is fairly bad in the summer. I've got a catback exhaust, intake, and upgraded charge piping already on top of the tune so I figured a different intercooler would do me better. Also running 94 octane which makes a small difference. I've been dwelling over the idea of doing a manual swap on my car, except that sourcing one where I live is super tough. There are so few manual Volvos with compatible transmissions in my part of the world, not to mention finding a wrecked one. And to add on to that my local independent Volvo tech told me he wouldn't do it, and I'm definitely not confident enough to do it myself.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Drop-ins are much easier to install, for a FMIC you usually have to cut something.

Although my drop-in was nothing of the kind and I still had to do some cutting and modding to get it in. But it was cheapo chinese crap and it was obviously not made quite right.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Hi there sir!

Let me first point out that this is a good upgrade to make. The original is having a hard time even with standard boost rates. We really think you should go for a drop-in solution. Placing one ahead of our actual bumper during our tests (to determine what effect the position really makes), gave us a 2 degree Celsius decrease compared to stock position. If you take into consideration that this was our piece, fitting something with the same flow rates and with comparable core volume, will be close to impossible unless you interfere with the car´s structure. So, in theory a FMIC has the advantage over a drop-in one, but then it has to be something with the same size and cooling abilities. That is seldom achievable.

As of a coincidence (haha) we do have an intercooler that fits the 850.
It is 70 % larger than stock.
It has 66 % better air flow.
It will reduce IAT:s with 46 %.*

I´d gladly answer any more questions should you have any. :)

Best regards
Isak, do88

*According to our test car, also an 850, compared to stock.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the answer! I've been eyeing up your guys drop-in replacement, the Canadian dollar is just so bad right now so price is an issue. That being said, I ordered your intake pipe kit from EuroSportTuning and it should be here sometime next week, I'm looking forward to it! I;d order directly from you guys if you weren't so far away.

I'll probably go with a drop-in replacement then when the time arises. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I'll probably go with a drop-in replacement then when the time arises. Thanks!
When the radiator needs to be replaced (this is a very common issue so it will leak at sometime) is the perfect time to install this drop-in unit because the intercooler and the radiator are sandwiched together and have to come out as one piece.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I went with a front mount and ebay piping kit. I'm now in the process of adapting snaab piping to work with it as well. In my experience you want something that eliminates as many pipe-coupler-pipe junctions as possible. I count the clamps, and honestly the more clamps you have, the more possible leak points.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went with a front mount and ebay piping kit. I'm now in the process of adapting snabb piping to work with it as well. In my experience you want something that eliminates as many pipe-coupler-pipe junctions as possible. I count the clamps, and honestly the more clamps you have, the more possible leak points.
While I do agree, that also opens you up to increased costs if something fails. If you have 3-4 pieces in between your turbo and intercooler and you blow a little silicon coupler you're out $20, whereas an all-in-one solution like the big silicon thing IPD makes is an all or nothing deal. I've got a Snabb OTE pipe right now and I've been having good luck with it so far.

·
Registered
505 Posts
While I do agree, that also opens you up to increased costs if something fails. If you have 3-4 pieces in between your turbo and intercooler and you blow a little silicon coupler you're out $20, whereas an all-in-one solution like the big silicon thing IPD makes is an all or nothing deal. I've got a Snabb OTE pipe right now and I've been having good luck with it so far.
That's why you replace the couplers with welded together sections. Silicone couplers fail, clamps fail, aluminum intercooler piping doesn't usually just "break."

Who said anything about all silicone? If i could have it my way there would be 4 couplers and 8 clamps, but due to limited space for routing and installation there are more physical connections between the turbo and intercooler, also for servicing other systems.

If you already have the snaab pipe i don't see why you'd start looking at a front mount or another companies version of a drop-in. Plus snaab typically has way faster turnaround time. Just buy the rest of the snaab kit and be done. Kristian is really easy to work with, if you let him know what you already have he can fill in the blanks and isn't going to sell you something you don't need.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I have all IPD piping and the construction is far superior to any of the typical silicone couplers that I've seen. The one piece design is great and the fact that it's flexible mean that I can just push it out of way when servicing the spark plugs or injectors, or it's just three hose clamps (third is for the external DV) and it's removed.

Ohhh, my pipe is strong!

·
Registered
505 Posts
The aftermarket for these parts just recently surfaced. It's not as if 5 or even 3 years ago drop in intercoolers and piping kits were available. Tme Sweden had an intercooler for T5's but that meant international shipping and $$$$.

I was an early adopter of the front mount because back in 2005 it was the cool kid thing to do to your Volvo. Had I waited I would have gone for a drop in and the full silicone piping.

But as it sits, my kit serves me well and has stood up to more heat and humidity than most on this forum being that it has lived in both Florida and Georgia.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's why you replace the couplers with welded together sections. Silicone couplers fail, clamps fail, aluminum intercooler piping doesn't usually just "break."

Who said anything about all silicone? If i could have it my way there would be 4 couplers and 8 clamps, but due to limited space for routing and installation there are more physical connections between the turbo and intercooler, also for servicing other systems.

If you already have the snaab pipe i don't see why you'd start looking at a front mount or another companies version of a drop-in. Plus snaab typically has way faster turnaround time. Just buy the rest of the snaab kit and be done. Kristian is really easy to work with, if you let him know what you already have he can fill in the blanks and isn't going to sell you something you don't need.
I've been looking at do88 because they have a Canadian retailer which has fair prices and no import charges obviously. If I were to order the entire kit from Snabb I would end up paying almost double with the exchange, shipping, and customs. I love my Snabb parts but the dollar is just hitting too hard right now to order something that big from the States.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hey there, I've got a 2001 V70 T5 with a tune and some other small stuff putting out 15psi. I'm looking at a complete intercooler kit replacement for my car due to the increased boost and the stupid heat that we get in the summer, plus the fact that it's got almost 250k miles on it. I've been trying to decide on whether a FMIC or drop-in replacement like the d088 one is the best for my car. Both sides claim theirs is the best but I'm looking for real field-tested answers. Prices for both kits are equally horrible (Canada) so I'm mainly looking for performance difference. Thanks!
Hmmm.. FWIW.. Had/have 01 v70 t5 ..Did bunch of work at 245k.... 18t and fmic.. Sway bars, subframe bushings, lower a arm, ball joints all engine mounts.. Original transmission.. Then at 285k I lost the tranny.. Scrapped car.. Just be wary of mileage.. May not be worth it..

But I did pick up its twin with 200k miles on it cheap.. In process of moving everything over..

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm.. FWIW.. Had/have 01 v70 t5 ..Did bunch of work at 245k.... 18t and fmic.. Sway bars, subframe bushings, lower a arm, ball joints all engine mounts.. Original transmission.. Then at 285k I lost the tranny.. Scrapped car.. Just be wary of mileage.. May not be worth it..

But I did pick up its twin with 200k miles on it cheap.. In process of moving everything over..

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Previous owner pulled a transmission from a 2004 S60 at about 190k, so I'm lucky there. Otherwise I wouldn't be doing much to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts