1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tires: Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
215/55 R-16 93H
Transmission: Geartronic

My vehicle only has a few hundred miles, but has had this problem since day one.

There is what I would describe as excessive road noise. It sounds like I ran over a cardboard box and it is lodged under the front, being dragged along. It is noticeable at all speeds, from the very lowest to high cruising speeds.

Steps I have taken to try to determine the possible cause:

1.Rotated tires, front to back.

2.Tried different tire pressures, from the lowest recommended to the highest, in 2# steps.

3.Cruising along, put trans in nuetral, and shut off engine.

Nothing that I have done has had any effect on the rumble.

Before I take it to let my friendly Volvo MastTech check it, I wanted to see if anyone else with the same vehicle has any comments.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since I originally posted this, I have taken a few more steps:

I substituted a set of (4) wheels and tires from a vehicle of known smoothness. The rumble was unaffected.

I took it to let the Volvo MasterTech drive it. This fellow has been a Volvo Tech at the same dealership since the early 80's, and a MasterTech there since 1988, so he is a pretty well informed Volvo person.

He could hear and feel the noise, but could not put a finger on it. We then went and found an identical vehicle to drive for comparison, which we both drove. The only vehicle that we could come up with that had the same wheels/tires as mine was a T5 that had been used as a Courtesy Car, taking customers home and to work & picking them up, etc. The only thing that might be more rigorous on a vehicle might be a demo or a rental. Anyway, this vehicle had 9,000 miles on it, but I was pleasantly pleased at how nice it drove. Very smooth ( no road noises ); and Darell ( cough, cough ) it had a beautiful shift pattern, in both GT & MT. The driveability and engine response was excellent.

It kind of heartened me; I told the MasterTech that if mine drove that well when it had 9,000 miles, I would be thrilled.

The bottom line ref my road noise problem is that I got the problem documented with Volvo, and we both agreed that the best thing to do is to put on more miles and see how things go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate to make a second post on the same subject, but I don't think a non-moderator type can do any changes or addons to an existing post.

Anyway, another thing about the 9,000 mile T5 that I drove that I thought was worth commenting on. It would unlock the Torque converter when going up a slight grade when you gave it about 1/2" of pedal; another 1/2" and it would downshift a gear, and all very smooth, like it knew what it was about.

This vehicle was a very early 2001 V70 T5; one of the very first to arrive at the dealership. I wonder if some vehicles are just this nice, or maybe the Techs have been massaging it now & then...I wish I had thought to ask. Next time I see the MasterTech I'll query him.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hey Roger -

I guess that's good news. I do like hearing about Volvos with some tough miles on them that perform well. And I do know (hack!) that these cars exist with good transmissions - I've driven a couple of them. I guess it gives us all hope. And I should say here publicly, that mine is quiet and smooth, with a fabulous ride quality. No rumbling noise or feel from my car with the stock wheels and Michelin tires.

I'm also heartened to hear that the mechanic could actually hear (and feel?) the noise. Things like this are typically written off as being too subjective to deal with, in my experience.

I'm not sure how adding miles will fix the problem, but here's hoping it does!

- Darell

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce - UTQC 320 AA
235/45R-17 93V
Geartronic

Hi Roger,

Sounds like you have a good rapport with your Volvo MT. Hope the road rumble gets resolved. In step 3... did you lose your hydraulics - i.e. PS, PB when you killed your ignition?

Like the courtesy car you drove, my T5 is an early build date(03/2000)and was the second one my dealership received April 2000. With just over 5,100 miles, it too drives very smoothly(no road noises), it has a nice shift pattern, & the driveability and engine response has been very good. It's starting to feel like the engine is loosening up & getting stronger. In fact, the last 1000 miles, I've been pushing the Adaptive System harder and I really like the feedback I'm getting. It does exhibit hi rev-shifting syndrome from a cold-start but it goes away in less than a minute or two. So I can live with that... it's not like I'll be dragging out of my garage in the mornings anyway!

Now I know why "D" backs his white space shuttle into his garage

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When the engine is off, you lose steering power assist, but you can still steer. The brakes work, I guess from stored vacuum, but I'm not sure how many times they would continue to give full assist. I hadn't really thought about it, but the ABS system pressure is provided by an electric pump, so maybe the brakes are designed to give power as long as the ABS has juice.

Oh, for a Factory Service Manual that would explain some of these things....My kingdom for a Manual!!

I believe the cold high rev shifting is designed in there - something to do with being able to meet emmission requirements during cold start/warmup phase. I usually start out in MT mode to avoid this. The same applies to the lag when starting from a stop in Auto mode; that slight pause while the tranny gets ready to go irritates me, so I just kick it into MT to start, and avoid the delay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just test drove a demo V70 overnight...it, too had this noise which from my experience sounded like a wheel bearing up front. This car had 7100 miles on it and had probably been abused a bit. When I returned the car, I told the salesperson about it and what I thought it was, and she said, "That doesn't surprise me." She mentioned that the demos were driven by several people. Sounds a lot like a rental car to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts