SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Knowledgeable people of the internet :wave: I have a large problem with my 2001 V70 T5 that originated from Flordia and now has 152k that I SCORED (or so I think) For $300 But this is beyond the point. So lets start at the beginning of story i picked this car up a few weeks ago thinking is had a bad fuel pump i got my code reader on the car before I purchased and the code shown was for a faulty mass air flow sensor. so i got the car home and didn't drive it much because #1 I have yet to spend the money to put the car on the road although I do live in the sticks and have a very long paved drive # 2 I also didnt drive the car because of the way it ran with the mass air flow sensor the way it was. so after I purchased a new mass air flow sensor and installed it I went for a test drive and guess what! it ran GREAT! until i got the light and message of doom! yup that right a no oil pressure warning, as it was evening when this took place I decided to just gently drive the car to the to of the driveway park it and to do my research before I dug deeper. so the next day equipped with my new information about oil pan o-rings and sludge I decided to just start the car and let it idle to see if i could get the light to come on again, this did reveal a dead alternator that caused the car to run VERY rough, have no throttle response at all and the dash to go all wacky the battery got very low enough but the oil pressure light did not come on... after replacing the alternator I Took the car for yet another test drive to refill the coolant check if the new alternator is working (it did) and guess what yet again the oil pressure light did not come on... so after this i'm starting to think that the light was just not related to the pressure of the oil at all, so i thought may have been related to the lack of electrical voltage to the sensor or engine computer that actually caused the light to come on. But Now its today and it took the car for a drive just to relax and enjoy but guess what now the light lit up so i shut the car off for about 10 minutes and restarted it no light until i had it running for about 2 minutes now the light seems to be at the threshold where it wanting to have enough oil pressure to stay off so here's what I've done today since then and what I've found so far. so I've put a oil cleaning additive in the car and it seem that any thing above idle or like 1000 rpm (doing anything more than coasting in drive will sometimes cause the light to come on.) so tonight I started it and took it for yet another diagnosis drive after my and Bingo the light! i also noticed a bit of an idle 'hunt' so i parked the car and revved it in park to about 1500-2000 rpm and after let off the throttle the engine surged as if it was trying to find an idle and then stalled after that i tried to restart but now guess what no response from the throttle but the engine is running just as good as any other 5cyl Volvo I've seen so i shut it off for about ten minutes and came back started it and its still doing the same thing so i put the throttle to the floor to re verify there was nothing and shortly after it stalled i restarted it and guess what now it has throttle response so let me know what you guys think. also should i buy a vida DICE / Tool to assist me?

Thanks, Sam :bow:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
How old is the oil? Sounds like you need to pull the oil pan though and verify the sump is clean, do not count on oil additive to help much at this point. Luckily its pretty easy to pull the oil pan. It likely has some pcv issues i'm gonna bet as well. What color is the sticker on the throttle body? Sounds like it has a failing ETM. If you plan to keep the car, then yes you should get the VIDA/Dice and a laptop setup it will make certain troubleshooting soo much easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How old is the oil? Sounds like you need to pull the oil pan though and verify the sump is clean, do not count on oil additive to help much at this point. Luckily its pretty easy to pull the oil pan. It likely has some pcv issues i'm gonna bet as well. What color is the sticker on the throttle body? Sounds like it has a failing ETM. If you plan to keep the car, then yes you should get the VIDA/Dice and a laptop setup it will make certain troubleshooting soo much easier.
the color of the sticker is yellow and i just did an oil change. im going to have to assume that the owner before me did not take care of it. he said he took it to Brooklyn and back to CNY a lot he said had it serviced someplace in Brooklyn. also can i just clean the pcv or no? I bought the vida dice and found nothing too interesting other than my cabin temp is almost "200°" C lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts