SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just looking for some answers. I have a 2001 V70 2.4 non-turbo with 264k miles on it. I recently replaced the fuel pump due to the heavy smell of gasoline in the cabin which was caused by a crack on top of the pump. I changed the filter for good measure as it appeared to be the original and the metal was flaking in large chunks and figured it was just a matter of time. Anyways, the car was mostly running fine (pesky misfire or something plagues my dreams). The gas smell is gone, the mileage improved I think - used to get 50 to 70 miles out of a half tank, ouch - so this last time it got about 180. Not too shabby. Come Friday and I'm sitting in the drive thru when all of the sudden the RPMs dropped to 500 (normally running at 1000) and started running rougher than normal. I put my foot on the accelerator to move and...nothing. Zero response to the pedal other than dip in RPM further and shudder of vehicle. Then, with a rather violent shake and shudder, the vehicle stalled out. Tried to start it back up and it did, albeit briefly. Ended up getting a push from some helpful Culver's employees to its current resting place. As I said I'm looking for answers. There is fuel, there is spark. Adding gas to the tank got it to run, but still the lack of response from the pedal. I have done an exhaustive search and can't find any definitive info on this one thing - where the hell the fuel pump relay is. A secondary question is if 103 is not the correct relay for my model year, why the hell does everyone sell it as the fuel pump relay for 2001 - 2007 Volvo V70/XC70?! I have found there is the CEM under the driver's side dash where the relay is supposed to be located but I do not see a relay of the size nor anywhere it could fit. I have also read it is a module on the CEM and is CMI 12, just need some confirmation. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm just looking for some answers. I have a 2001 V70 2.4 non-turbo with 264k miles on it. I recently replaced the fuel pump due to the heavy smell of gasoline in the cabin which was caused by a crack on top of the pump. I changed the filter for good measure as it appeared to be the original and the metal was flaking in large chunks and figured it was just a matter of time. Anyways, the car was mostly running fine (pesky misfire or something plagues my dreams). The gas smell is gone, the mileage improved I think - used to get 50 to 70 miles out of a half tank, ouch - so this last time it got about 180. Not too shabby. Come Friday and I'm sitting in the drive thru when all of the sudden the RPMs dropped to 500 (normally running at 1000) and started running rougher than normal. I put my foot on the accelerator to move and...nothing. Zero response to the pedal other than dip in RPM further and shudder of vehicle. Then, with a rather violent shake and shudder, the vehicle stalled out. Tried to start it back up and it did, albeit briefly. Ended up getting a push from some helpful Culver's employees to its current resting place. As I said I'm looking for answers. There is fuel, there is spark. Adding gas to the tank got it to run, but still the lack of response from the pedal. I have done an exhaustive search and can't find any definitive info on this one thing - where the hell the fuel pump relay is. A secondary question is if 103 is not the correct relay for my model year, why the hell does everyone sell it as the fuel pump relay for 2001 - 2007 Volvo V70/XC70?! I have found there is the CEM under the driver's side dash where the relay is supposed to be located but I do not see a relay of the size nor anywhere it could fit. I have also read it is a module on the CEM and is CMI 12, just need some confirmation. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I’ve had the issue with the stall before in my 2003 - check your codes, I’ve had a MAF code, an engine too rich code, and once was a bad or fouled injector. I had to replace the MAF in that thing twice. Fuel pump should be fine for years unless you run it low, not sure about the electronics or relays but I know the 01s have electrical issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts