SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm completely new to this forum. A friend recommended it to me when my girlfriends 2001 V 70 XC started acting up. Well, it really was one act. She got home from work and the car was fine. She went to go to the store and the car wouldn't go into reverse. I went out to check the vehicle out, and realized that if the car wasn't in park, it was in drive. Drive in reverse, drive in neutral, etc. I checked the transmission fluid, only to see that it was slightly darker than normal, but not life ending. I have been told several things (including a possible easy/quick fix {possibly a fluid flush?}) from several sources saying that this is a common issue with these cars around 250,000 miles. I am mechanically inclined, however, don't have the means to work on this transmission. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I would love to keep this car on the road for a very long time. Thanks!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
It's a common issue at 100K (or less miles) and I would be shocked if yours was the original tranny.
Read up on 2001's ... many many issues.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It's a common issue at 100K (or less miles) and I would be shocked if yours was the original tranny.
Read up on 2001's ... many many issues.
Yea, I think 01-03 is a lot of issues due to the neutral braking feature before volvo updated it.
I've only seen one 2001 with an original trans at 300k miles, and lo and behold an Asian was driving it.

Good luck, I'd recommend a new trans or just looking for a new car. IDK if a flush would help a car that won't shift, but the solenoids may indeed help. That job involves dropping the subframe, though. Weigh your options, and best of luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
when i got my car which was a 01. I had severe issues with the tranny. Mine was slamming into gears. Yours is abit different. Anyways... its worth a shot to drain refill. I used transtune for a month and made sure the tranny level was where it should be... In my case.. tranny shifts like new.. But took awhile. Also my tranny has 100k miles on iot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If it were mine I would start with a "drain and fill" and see if it has a positive effect. If it does, do it again. Wont hurt and is much cheaper than just about anything else you can attempt. I use Toyota tyoe IV fluid on my 01 2.4T which is much less expensive than the same Volvo branded T-fluid. Note "drain and fill" is different than a flush (which from what I have read is not recommended for a high mileage Volvo tranny of this era). Hope it works out for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts