SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, so happy I found these forums!

I've had this problem for at least 5 years, and the dealer has never been able to find the solution. I took my Volvo in for a throttle update recall, and ever since then, it has had intermittent surging/cutout on take off. It seems to be worse in the winter, but it does happen even on hot days. Is there something I can do/change myself to fix this issue that has plagued me for so long?

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!
------
2001 S80 T6

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had same problem on 1999 T6. The day after the dealer changed the electronic throttle module and uploaded new software my problem started.
In winter it surges badly until the temperature gauge comes up a bit then all is normal.
I had dealer look at it several times, even left car over night so they could replicate cold start.
They claim it's normal.
I hooked up scanner and found it happens on cold start as long as system is in "open loop".
Once engine warms a bit ( and above all once the O2 sensors are warm) the engine switches to closed loop with feedback from all sensors.
It's at this point that the engine becomes normal again.
Tells me the problem is in the base software which has control of the injection function during open loop operation.
It's sad Volvo won't recognize the problem. Volvo insists that the new software be loaded before they would consider changing the ETM. I think it has to do with the new software being written to "save" some of the old ( not replaced) ETM's to reduce warranty costs.
Unless you can get into the software ( doubt anyone has the source code) I fear there is little you can do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts