SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks, reaching out to the collective mind of Swedespeed for some help with this one.

The other day my '01 S60 slipped between gears out of a green light. I backed off the accelerator and it seemed to find the next gear without a bump, but the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. At that point it went into limp mode, and has been that way since. Here are the two codes that it threw: P0778 (Generic) Pressure Control Solenoid B Electrical, and P1618 (Volvo) Fault in Lead Between AW 50-52 and Motronic 4.3 (MIL Requested). While reading codes my dash displayed a "LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE" code, so I decided to start there. My research showed that, at least in one case, an S60 owner with the same transmission codes was able to replace his dying battery and solve the problems. I pulled the new battery from my Subaru Forester an gave that a go. I wiped the codes and went to take it for a test drive, but "TRANSMISSION SERVICE REQUIRED" popped up as soon as I put it into drive, and it went back into limp within a half mile, so I guess I'm not as lucky as that guy.

I spoke with my trusted Volvo mechanic the other day BEFORE reading these codes and described the symptoms. I have not had a chance to talk to him since. At that time he told me that it sounds like a "valve body" issue, and that would need to be replaced. What do you guys think? This is not a car that I want to throw a lot of $$ at to repair, so I'm trying to figure out what my next steps should be. If it looks like something that I can fix on my own (I'm pretty mechanically inclined) I'm game, but resale on an '01 S60 with 113,000 miles isn't much so I'm just trying to make wise financial decisions here.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
So, how much is the proposed repair going to be? $400? $500? $800? Even if it were to be $1,000 (shouldn't) you have to ask yourself "can I get a replacement car for this amount of money"?

Fix the car, if everything else is going OK, and enjoy it for many more thousands of miles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts