SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am sitting at say... a stoplight my RPMs will be around 7-800 then will drop off to 5-600 for just a second. Enough to get my attention. Of course, it is intermittent. Some times I can feel it getting a little rough just before it happens. Once or twice, I thought it was going to die. Under power it runs normal. It's done it cold and warmed up. Gas mileage seems the same.

I took it to my Volvo Dealership. First they did the ETM replacement. Did it the next day. Returned and they did a software upgrade. Happened at the stoplight on the ride home from the dealership. It's at the dealership now. They can't dupe it. No codes come up. Really frustrating.

Any ideas are appreciated?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: 2001 S60 2.4T 100K RPMs Drop at idle (traer)

R U sure it's not the "stop neutral" feature in your tranny?
Have this removed if you haven't already, then if it still is there get back to us.
What you say your car is exibiting can be a result of this (horrible) tranny operation
which was removed early in the 02 MY

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2001 S60 2.4T 100K RPMs Drop at idle (JRL)

I am familiar with the stop neutral feature. It's actually a fuel/emissions thing. Drops into neutral while at an idle and then kicks back in gear under power. It appears as a hesitation when you start off. I also took it in for that before along with a front end knock. When they explained what it was, I told them not to reprogram it if it isn't a problem. It doesn't bother me as long as I know it isn't the tranny going out.

This is not like that at all. With the brake on, it drops RPMs to the point of vibrating the car (or at least enough for me to notice it) then jumps back up with my foot never leaving the brake. It's not connected with acceleration. I a very sensitive to the cars motor feel.

I took it in a about 300 miles back, my mileage is now past my warranty so I am very anxious to get this settled.

Up until now My S60 has been excellent. I truly love this car! I bought it used 2 years ago with 22K and I drive it many miles and I drive it hard. I change the oil religiously with synthetic.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

The stop neutral coupled with a POSSIBLE bad valve body CAN pose these problems.
Again, disconnect the Stop neutral, gat any and all software tranny upgrades and try it again, it really may be in the transmission.
Other alternatives could be a very small vacuum leak somewhere

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

No word back from the dealership today...

Will let you know as soon as I hear anything.

Thanks again for the advice.

With a 2006 S80 loaner... they can certainly take their time.

tr

·
Registered
746 Posts

You got loaner and you have an 01'!?!?! There's something i'm missing here... I never get a loaner from my dealer. Lame. Also, is the "stop/start neutral" feature erased w/ all new servicing upgrades whenever I take my car in for service?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: 2001 S60 2.4T 100K RPMs Drop at idle (eVOLVOer)

I have a 96 and get a loaner if I want one

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Momentum in Houston - loaners if it is warranty work. I bought the car with 22K and the 100K factory added.

It's a really basic model... cloth and no sunroof. The way I like it and it's dark green. They discontinued the color, seems I'm the only one that likes it. I go look at the 2006 and eh...? I like mine better!

I am a 4x4 driver by history and it's the fourth car out of 19 vehicles!
I absolutely love it!! Constant bulb failures and all!

·
Registered
16 Posts

I had the same problem, but mine sounded a little more drastic!
At a complete stop the idle would fluctuate between 200 and 1100 RPM, very annoying and worrying!! I was worried it was the ETM.
I took it in to the dealer about a month ago and told them about it, and I told them I wanted the stop neutrel removed and a software upgrade.
They removed the stop neutrel and did a complete scan of system upgrades and told me all my systems needed an upgrade.
I told them to do it and the cars runs beautiful now!!!!
A huge improvment, idles nice and seems to run a little smoother.
A little shaking at idle has started today, but I think it's a motor mount

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: 2001 S60 2.4T 100K RPMs Drop at idle THE PLOT THICKENS!

Okay... yesterday at 12:30 the dealership called and said they could never get the car to do anything except run perfectly. They also claimed there was a BRAND NEW software upgrade that morning. They had installed EVERY UPGRADE in existence and I could come get the car. (They were super nice about it)

Then the plot thickens...
At 2:30 they called back and said... uh, don't come get it. The service tech Or someone ad driven the car and under power it had stalled... backfired like and ALL the lights came on. Now they had 15-16 codes to work with.

At 5:30 they called again to say the voltage regulator had blown and ruined the alternator. Tthe computer(s) have safety shutdowns of some sort and had all shut down on high voltage.

Now I need a new alternator/voltage regulator... of course, this may or may not be related to my original problem (which I brought it in for thre weeks ago when it was covered under the 100K warranty) by now the car has 100,500 miles on it. So not sure if this will be covered... uuuugggghhhhh! They are going to call the insurance/warranty company on Monday and see what they can do... GREAT!

Now what damage has the voltage spike done to the rest of my system. The electrical controls on the A/C and the bulbs all SUCKED as it was. Which I just lived with because I love the car so much!!!!!

HELP and advice!!

Thanks all
tr

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: 2001 S60 2.4T 100K RPMs Drop at idle THE PLOT THICKENS! (traer)

So the tech was driving and this happened? You better make sure that dealership fixes that problem because they should have known better than to be driving it if this problem was that bad. I will tell you that a drop in idle usually has to do with the air conditioning compressor cyling on or off. Was your A/C on? This is a likely culprit.

There is also an idle speed sensor that controls air flow into the engine at idle. It is SUPPOSED to compensate for increased load put upon by the compressor or other accessories by allowing extra air into the motor. This can easily clog and cause erratice idle or stalling.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: 2001 S60 2.4T 100K RPMs Drop at idle THE PLOT THICKENS! (Majisto)

No, I cycled the A/C numerous times to try and get it to dupicate the problem.

It has been mentioned to me that it could be a sticky/dirty throttle bypass valve...

We'll see what the day holds??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The VIP warranty company told the dealership that they will not cover the voltage regulator and subsequent damage since it was out of warranty when the regulator completely failed.

Anyone have an opinion on whether the voltage regulator could have been going out little by little and sending spikes into the system or ???

My only option now is to call the VIP company direct and argue my case but I think I need a little more ammunition than I have right now.

I am out over $700 right now.

What subsequent failures am I now going to have as a result of the Voltage reg failure???

Thanks for any opinions!!
tr

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

IF the original problem was before 100K they really must honor it.
Just because the dealer couldn't find the problem right away for whatever reason, the PROBLEM STARTED BEFORE THE WARRANTY PERIOD EXPIRED
You have to talk with the service manager and get him involved, don't take this lying down

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

So the dealership encouraged me to call the VIP warranty company. When I did, I was told that even though I have taken the car in for the surging/lagging problem three times now... a claim was never filed! Today is the first they have heard of it and my car is at 100,150 miles! Out of warranty... poop out of luck...

HHHmmmm...

The Volvo service department better take care of this...

I have a call in to them!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

VIP SUPERVISOR JOHN SUTHERLAND STATES THAT THEY ARE ONLY LIABLE FOR A CLAIM THAT IS REPORTED PRIOR TO THE MILEAGE TURNING 100,000.

MOMENTUM DID NOT FILE A CLAIM WHENEVER I ORIGINALLY BROUGHT THE CAR IN (THREE TIMES) BECAUSE THEY WERE TRYING TO SOLVE IT UNDER THE ETM 200,000 MILE WARRANTY.

THE S60 IS AT 100,150 MILES AND EVEN THOUGH MOMENTUM WILL FAX THEM ALL THE INFORMATION SHOWING THAT THE PROBLEM EXISTED PRIOR TO 100,000 MILE, VIP REFUSES TO EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE IT. I ARGUED THAT IT IS VERY CLEAR THAT THE PROBLEM EXISTED AND EVERYTHING WAS DONE IN GOOD FAITH BUT IT IS VERY APPARENT THAT THEY ARE NOT CONCERNED ABOUT THE TRUTH OF THE ISSUE OR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.

THEY TOLD ME THAT IS A PROBLEM BETWEEN MOMENTUM AND ME.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Quote, originally posted by traer »

THEY TOLD ME THAT IS A PROBLEM BETWEEN MOMENTUM AND ME.
It sounds like it is. It also sounds like you have a very good case that THEY eat the bill.
It's their fault they didn't submit in time and under 100K miles, therefore you should NOT have to pay the bill.
You should have a real good (90+ to 10-) odds to win your case (against the dealer) in small claims court if you choose to go that route. I would have a real good talk with them if I were you

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: 2001 S60 2.4T 100K RPMs Drop at idle THE PLOT THICKENS! (JRL)

I just spoke with the Service Manager, Steve Graham. I am on my best behavior so that I don't blow up... I diagramed this as an unfortunate situation.

He claims that the Service Rep did the right thing. He claims that if the voltage reg had been going out previously then there would have been a code stored in the computer. The first trip they claimed there was a code for the ETM upgrade... the second time... something told them (I don't remember there being anything about a code) to do another software up grade. And this last time... only software upgrades... does no one know how to diagnose a car without codes... don't they know how a combustion engine works and what MIGHT cause the problem if no codes tell them.

Bypass valves stick and need cleaning... !!!!

Mr. Graham is going to call VIP but he doesn't think that will help. He claims they will "work with" me. The service rep told me they would give me a 10% break because I am such a good customer... right!!!

Originally, I needed a new alternator... now they are saying they can save a couple hundred if they just replace the voltage regulator, etc... and no new alternator... how come that wasn't an option in the first place...

I don't want to be back in there in two weeks replacing the alternator...!!! Plus faulty alternators and batteries often just lead to other degrades...

If the original problem still exists after all this... then what? I have no warranty to cover it now because the dealership didn't report it...

I will be in the market for a new car since this one is over 100K now... I love this car but I don't think I will be shopping for a Volvo if this is how I am going to be treated... (Think Mazda RX8)

Really makes me want to finish my '83 Toyota r22 and get her back on the road...
I can usually fix her with bailing wire and duct tape... don't need no stinking codes!!!

Tomorrow is another day and another story... we'll see...

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Again, I reitorate

"It sounds like it is. It also sounds like you have a very good case that THEY eat the bill.
It's their fault they didn't submit in time and under 100K miles, therefore you should NOT have to pay the bill."

They should have been aware to submit as your mileage was real close t the magic 100K.
I still would insist they make good since they were just jerking around or just take them to court.
I would also try to put pressure on VIP and have them work with the dealer

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: 2001 S60 2.4T 100K RPMs Drop at idle THE PLOT THICKENS! (JRL)

NO call back yet...
but the dealership has already said that the voltage regulator
couldn't have been the cause of my pre-existing condition...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts