SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2001 C70 Convertible Manual that has developed an odd electrical issue.

The brake lamps work fine however whenever I apply the brake pedal the rear foglamp telltale illuminates very dimly in the instrument cluster and the left parklamps dim very slightly. In addition if the brakes are applied while the left turn signal is active the turn signal begins blinking rapidly as if a bulb is out. The right turn signal works fine.

I just found a copy of the electrical schematic and am wading through that. I have checked the fuses for the brake lamps and turn signals and they are clean with no corrosion.

Any advice where to start troubleshooting? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Lights glowing or coming on when they're not supposed to is almost always indicative of a bad ground somewhere. Start with the trunk ground wires (just below the carpet/trim on either side of the trunk latch) and any other grounds in the trunk. Take them off and sand the paint down in a spot around the bolt hole, and sand the ring terminals a little, then put them back and spray or brush some rust protection on them, like dielectric grease or battery corrosion inhibitor. Grounds are shown on page 84 of the wiring diagram.

Next step will be to pull out all the bulbs and the plugs and just reattach everything a few times to scrape any corrosion and get good contact in the taillight assembly itself. If either of those doesn't fix it I'd pull the light assemblies out and look for cracks or corrosion on the light assembly itself.

If that doesn't solve it then you're looking at something weird like the bulb failure relay or turn signal relay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts