SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo, on my way to the gas station, because I was low on fuel, my caR died. I was literally right in front of the gas station and had a can, so I put a few gallons in thinking that would bring it back to life. NOPE. Even with a full tank of gas. The car will start momentarily and runs beautifully for a second or so, then dies. It will not start again immediately, but if you wait about 30 second it will start again and quickly die. I put a bottle of dry gas in, and tried it time and time again, but no difference. I tried starting with the MAF unplugged, and still does the same thing. I did a hard ECu reset by disconnecting the battery and draining residual charge, but no difference. Now, I'm stuck at home with the R at a gas station, hoping I can figure it out without having to get it towed to a shop. Any ideas out there? I would GREATLY appreciate the help! (2000R, 123 k mi)

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Fuel pump or fuel pump relay is what my money's on. Did you try hitting the bottom of the gas tank with your hand while someone else is trying to start the car?

·
Registered
547 Posts
First thing I would check is the fuel filter. Running the tank empty can suck sediment from the bottom of the tank and clog your filter.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
First thing I would check is the fuel filter. Running the tank empty can suck sediment from the bottom of the tank and clog your filter.
I was in the process of typing the same suggestion and I saw your post +1

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MANY thanks to Brian, it turns out it was the fuel pump relay. Part has been ordered, should be here tomorrow!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts