SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new radiator in my 2000R, and I've been calling around shops in Fairbanks, AK to get labor quotes if I provide the parts. One shop told me it would take 5.1 hours, and another told me 6. At $100/hr for labor being pretty much standard around town here, that's a lot of damn money!

This seems like way too much time for a certified mechanic to do this work. Am I right?

At this rate, even though I'm an amateur, I think I'll end up doing it myself.

Any suggestions? Should I reasonably expect to spend well over this amount of time if I'm doing it myself?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, (but I have been around a while) nor can I tell you how long it will take you to perform the replacement.
But if you feel confident in your mechanical abilities make sure you double your allotted time - as it will take you no less than what a pro quotes you. (usually)
I would continue to shop around if you have more shops available in AK.

As to how long it will take a certified mechanic - if he is good he can do it in way less time.
I will also tell you that most shops (independents or dealerships) will charge you by what is referred to as the book hours.
If the repair manual calls for 6 hours they will charge you for 6 hours period.
If the technician can do it in three he still gets paid for 6 hours (or his percentage).
Most shops pay technicians by piece work, so the better the tech the more jobs he can do in a given work day, hence the more money he and the shop can make.

My advice is do as much research as you can as to what the job will entail, tools required, etc... and if you have a buddy who is a mechanic or really into working on cars go get a 6 pack of his favorite beverage and invite him to help. (Big jobs can call for food in addition to beverages too).

Best of luck with the replacement.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
That seems like a fair time quote from the shops, because there is a fair bit of gear that needs to be removed prior to getting the radiator out of the car.

I just did a radiator on my 99 R. The biggest PITA is removing/re-installing the intercooler+radiator sandwich. I'm far from an expert mechanic, but I do know my way around my engine bay, and had no real problems with the job. I replaced my thermostat and both radiator hoses at the same time.

All told, it took me ~8 hours start to finish, plus about an extra hour to polish my thermostat housing while I had it off the car :D

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I need a new radiator in my 2000R, and I've been calling around shops in Fairbanks, AK to get labor quotes if I provide the parts. One shop told me it would take 5.1 hours, and another told me 6. At $100/hr for labor being pretty much standard around town here, that's a lot of damn money!

This seems like way too much time for a certified mechanic to do this work. Am I right?

At this rate, even though I'm an amateur, I think I'll end up doing it myself.

Any suggestions? Should I reasonably expect to spend well over this amount of time if I'm doing it myself?
Bummer to hear that it turned out to be the rad...At least it didn't hose ya between Colorado and Fairbanks!
If you still have the Subie available, just suck it up and do it yourself. Builds character! Find a new one yet?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I did it on my '98 this spring and it is not that bad. It was my first time and took about 6 hours with an extra set of hands to help hold things (i'm not a mechanic, but am mechanical). Just make sure you have all the tools and parts ready to go. Also replace the thermostat at the same time when you are in there and the fluid is drained.

Some resources:
http://volvospeed.com/volvo_repairs_how_tos/engine_repairs/turbo_radiator_replacement.html
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/replace-thermostat-volvo-850-s70-v70-c70-or-xc70.html

I'm happy to answer more questions if you want to PM me.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
sounds like they are scared and do not want to work on your car....
book time is 1.6hrs warranty to do this job......i would not expect to get charged for more than about 2.5 hours of work....

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have a feeling that in Fairbanks AK you may be limited to repair facilities...
They say it is tougher in Alaska - apparently Tougher on your Wallet.

The closest Authorized Volvo Dealership is in Anchorage - 250 miles away - Damn that sucks.
I have one less than 8 miles from my house - another 30 miles and two within 50 miles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
6 hours sounds about right. Mine took 1.5 days to do myself. 1 to take it out and another half day to replace it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts