SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Just bought Kyle's 2000 Laser VR. Sweet ride. The steering wheel is a bit gnarly from the sun I suppose. I'm looking for a new one. I called Erie and Eric over there said that they have one in the dark gray color like mine and its 125 with shipping in good condition. He said its not off an R. He said they are all the same wheel, just different colors.

Can anyone confirm this before I buy it. Or anyone know of a cheaper one for sale.

I'm gunna make this car my snow car and am trying to spruse up the interior as well. The ONLY things that aren't nice inside is the wheel and the window switches on the two front door panels. Am gunna order both of those from IPD.

Then snow tires, Thule board rack, all 5 all weather mats, some nice lights up front and i'll be blasting through VT every weekend this winter. yay!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Eric is wrong (to a point)
The 2000R wheel only came in charcoal and is totally different than a "standard" wheels
However, I "think" a 02-04 C70 wheel may the same and that may come in different colors I'm just not sure.
If you can hang on until later, I have plenty of 2000 V70R steering wheels here (2 on our cars and an extra that's not for sale right now) and an 02 C70 so I can compare the two
Can't do this for a couple of hours so PM or email me later in the day.

I refinish these, they come out as new

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
There are a bunch of different steering wheels and it depended on what year and what trim the car was equipped with so they are certainly not all the same.

Can you post up a picture of your steering wheel? Then I should be able to tell you what part number you need to search for. You probably need this one: 8628370 "soft leather 1999- S70R/V70R 1999- C70 sport CODE 2774"

It's likely that Erie has these in stock: 9475290 (9192622) called "gray leather" which a lot of the non-R 99-00s have. I just sold a pretty nice one of these to another member over the Summer.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I bought a new '00 R steering wheel for my XC last year from Darrell Waltrip Volvo, I'll try to find the P/N. it was about $300.

The feel of new leather is nice. :)

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly I don't know how to post a pic. I went under FAQ and it said to click on the pictures and albums link in the settings but cannot find it

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JRL can you verify anything with the wheel being a certain year c70 wheel as well. And has anyone else refinished these wheels. I'll try if it looks promising.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Should have thumb indents on the spoke
The 00 R wheel is thicker

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
"2000 V70R" Steering wheel - also 2002-2004 C70
Color code: 2724 - dark graphite
Part # 8628370

'00 V70R / C70 wheel on the right:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Interesting thread. Believe it or not, the 2000R project that I'm working on has the wood wheel pictured on the left, which I know was not how they were supposed to come. If I remember correctly, one could actually opt for the wood wheel. If not in the states, then for Overseas Delivery which is how this vehicle was originally ordered. I'm thinking that it was originally ordered that way, although the possibility exists that it was swapped at one time by a previous owner.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Probably swapped

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Wood wheels came on some Rs in Europe in 1998. If you had the Birch wood trim in an R in 98 it came with the birch wood wheel for example. But normally, the 1998 R came with a steering wheel that had suede on top and bottom. Nice steering wheel - the '98 wheels were thinner than the 99+ wheels (they were all interchangeable of course).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I purchased the same steering wheel as Chris, and this is what mine looks like after 14 months. I'm not suggesting that you'll have a similar problem, but I'm dissapointed. -Wm.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If that is not something that will clean off, ask some local upholstery shops who they use for leather refinishing. I found a highly recommended local shop that refinished my wheel for $50. If you have a Fabrion place nearby, maybe try them. My local shop did a good job, lightly sanded and re-dyed to match the original color. It is holding up well and the color does not come off, even with mild cleaning of grime that builds up over time. Lexol products are highly recommended for do it yourself leather cleaning and conditioning. I have not tried my own refinishing. Well, I sanded a little hidden spot and chickened out and found the local place. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Almost all of the 99+ steering wheels turn into glue after some time in the sun or when cleaning products touched them. At least in Sweden a lot of them were replaced under warranty because Volvo extended it for the steering wheels on those cars but it's still very hard to find them in the JYs that haven't turned into glue even on cars that had the wheel replaced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts