SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so apparently the 2000 v70R is dam near impossible to get an axle for. why? im not sure. FCP has none for pass side none ipd none anywhere. but the previous owner of my car included one with the sale (from fcp 2 years ago). I went to install but the splined end that goes into the trans/angle gear is 1/2 inch too long. the other end with boots and hub is correct length spline etc. even says 4 speed on the bill

From the autoparts stores, i was able to source another volvo axle(just by browsing different awd years). This has the correct length trans end, bearing etc but incorrect hub end (hub too big and lonng).

basically one half of one is good and the another half of the other is good too (visually). Since the center part where the cvs meet the solid shaft is the same Im going to try and make 2 axles into one :)

anyone ever tried this? lol it beats getting a remanned one from volvo for $450

·
Registered
808 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
somehow i missed thaat thread while searching. lookforjoes infor seems to be pointing towards what axel to use on the m66 conversion thoughh. I already figured out the differences.

yes, fcp told me the axle that came with my car was for an xc. it has the fluted end where mine does not. also im well aware my car is a 5 speed. i was just saying it showed 4 speed on the bill which i knew was wrong from the start

·
Registered
808 Posts
hahah found a thread from previous owner about the problem. chilled man says hes made "custom" axles so well see how it goes

http://v70r.com/forums/topic/24296-axle-replacement/
Yeah, the 2000 R is unique in many ways. Due to low production numbers it seems that some parts are hard to find or no longer produced by Volvo(rear brake rotors for example).

I just pulled my axles on Sunday to prepare for an engine swap, fortunately the pass. side axle seems fine. The drivers axle outer CV joint feels like it's binding but the boot is in good shape. I'll see if I can take it apart to clean and re-grease it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
today i dropped off 3 axels with my freind who is in the machine shop of his familys auto parts store. the old for comparison, one with the correct half shaft side, and another with the correct cv side. hopefully he can match them up

·
Registered
808 Posts
today i dropped off 3 axels with my freind who is in the machine shop of his familys auto parts store. the old for comparison, one with the correct half shaft side, and another with the correct cv side. hopefully he can match them up
Sounds like it should work.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like it should work.

chilled man agreed. Ive seen some of his post on axles and he has mismathced several. the only thing I think they may possibly be a problem is if for some reason the 2 different brands of axels have different internals

·
Registered
808 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts