SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I'm new to the forum, and to car maintenance in general. As a recently graduated grad student, who hasn't found yet found a job, and is sitting underneath a mountain of student debt, I'm needing to do some vehicle repairs on the cheap.
When I first bought my car back in December 2014, it had 142k miles on it and the check engine light was on, triggering the code P0014: "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1). My mechanic at the time suggested that I leave it be for the moment and see whether it persisted. His thought was that it could simply be a matter of dirty oil impacting the sensor. I took his advice, and though it took longer than he suggested, my check engine light eventually turned off and that was that. Several months go by, and I start to notice that my car is idling rough, and hard starting. Then today, I got my first check engine light since that initial one, and the code coming up is P0303: Cylinder #3 Misfire. According to what I've read, a faulty camshaft position sensor could be responsible for both issues, but I'm reluctant to begin attempting to fix this problem myself, because I don't quite trust my car diagnostic skills. I was hoping you good folks could lend me your expertise and perhaps guide me to the proper solution.

I'm currently waiting tables, and I need this car to make it back and forth from work. The quicker and more cost efficiently I can get this problem sorted out, the better.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to your help!

--
..And here's my car, fresh out of the bath.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Could be a bad coil or coil wire. When was the last time the plugs were changed?

Rough idle could be a dirty IAC valve. The camshaft adjust solenoid is very particular about cleanliness, there was also an update to the cam solenoid gasket, so if yours is original it could be dirty.

I'll be doing some work on my V40 this weekend and I'm in Marietta if you need a hand. I have a two car garage and a bitchin set of tools.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Honestly, I've never had the plugs changed, and I've had the car since December 2014...I don't know when they were last changed before then. So that definitely seems plausible.
How are you at diagnostics with the v40? I'm actually also in Marietta and I would love to take you up on your offer. Will you be available saturday morning?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Honestly, I've never had the plugs changed, and I've had the car since December 2014...I don't know when they were last changed before then. So that definitely seems plausible.
How are you at diagnostics with the v40? I'm actually also in Marietta and I would love to take you up on your offer. Will you be available saturday morning?
I've owed two 40 series over the years. One that was a purpose built racer and one as a daily driver. Saturday I have a meeting in Hiram around 12pm, but should be back by mid afternoon. I'll be in the garage doing some steering repair on the 40 and some other work on my S60. If you want to stop by i could take a look at it, or just send me a private message and we can setup a time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts