SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys. I ran into a big problem with my 2000 volvo s40 1.9t (us edition) 166k miles. I blew my tranny and need some pointers on the removal and install of a junk yard tranny. I have a good understanding of working on general car repairs but doing a tranny removal/install is new to me. I haven't come up with much info for the 4speed on the 2000 volvo s40 specifically. I have a friend who is letting me use his shop after hours so I will have all the tools necessary.
1) should I trust a junkyard on a tranny removal or should I do it myself with a hoist?
2) how to install s40 tranny
3) should I put in a new tranny filter and do a FULL flush? *My local parts store sells a aftermarket s40 filter * heard mixed reviews on doing full automatic tranny flushes
4) should I replace anything else on the tranny while its out that's not tooo involved?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump! My car is still sitting in the driveway collecting dust,lol. Any other forum that can help me out? I'm in a bind and need help baaaaad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sup guys. I ran into a big problem with my 2000 volvo s40 1.9t (us edition) 166k miles. I blew my tranny and need some pointers on the removal and install of a junk yard tranny. I have a good understanding of working on general car repairs but doing a tranny removal/install is new to me. I haven't come up with much info for the 4speed on the 2000 volvo s40 specifically. I have a friend who is letting me use his shop after hours so I will have all the tools necessary.
1) should I trust a junkyard on a tranny removal or should I do it myself with a hoist?
2) how to install s40 tranny
3) should I put in a new tranny filter and do a FULL flush? *My local parts store sells a aftermarket s40 filter * heard mixed reviews on doing full automatic tranny flushes
4) should I replace anything else on the tranny while its out that's not tooo involved?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you have the time, the patience, and a place to work on your car, my suggestion would be to remove the transmission yourself, drain the fluid, open it up, and inspect for damage. If you know someone with experience in transmission work, that would be helpful, even if you have to pay to their knowledge and expertise. You might be able to get the unit repaired for less than $1,000 in parts, and you will then have a transmission that you know is in good condition and something that should last for 50,000 miles or more. There are U tube videos that will give you some idea of what you are getting into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts