SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Looking to do a drain and fill on my wifes v70xcs transmission.
Wondering what fluid to use.

Should i out some lucas transmission fix in there?

The arrow has been flashing and the mech said it was something with the torque converter. According to the engine code. So he suggested new fluid.

What should i use?

Thanks

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
If you have a real converter code, the tranny is shot and will fail completely soon so don't waste your money!
These transmission take Dex 3 and/or anything compatible.
(A single drain and fill will do nothing).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have a real converter code, the tranny is shot and will fail completely soon so don't waste your money!
These transmission take Dex 3 and/or anything compatible.
(A single drain and fill will do nothing).

Was thinking of doing 12qt total of drain and fill over a couple of days, or do the return hose flush method.

Here are the codes as indicated by the invoice from mechanics:
p1618
fault in lead between aw50-/52 and motronic 4.3 malfunction indicator request light
p0743 torque converter

Car still drives, and arrow will flash on occasion.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hello,

Like Jim said, you can try a flush, but it may not help.

I would recommend removing the return line and flushing that way. I usually pull the line at the side pan (Volvo also suggests that method), rather than at the radiator as some do. Both ways work, but this way flushes the cooler as well and also doesn't require replacement clips ;). As already mentioned, simply draining and refilling only replaces 2 quarts or so. I'd flush until the fluid runs red (12-14 quarts) and see what happens.

As Jim said, regular Dexron is fine. You CAN use 3309 spec fluid, but it's not required for the 4-speed auto. Walmart has Valvoline MaxLife fluid for ~$16/gallon, pretty good fluid for the money.

Hope this helps,

Joe

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

I would recommend removing the return line and flushing that way. I usually pull the line at the side pan (Volvo also suggests that method), rather than at the radiator as some do. Both ways work, but this way flushes the cooler as well and also doesn't require replacement clips ;).
Joe
Thanks Joe

Is there a write-up with pictures anywhere? :)
When you say pull the line at the side pan, do you mean the same hose but disconnecting the other end of it?

Thanks for the tip with the Valvoline fluid.

I will do the flush anyway as i don´t think it can make anything worse, it was also suggested by the mechanics as a first resort.

Thank you
Kjartan

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hello again,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, the cooler line where it enters the pan. Should be a 21 or 22mm nut if I recall. Removing the battery and tray makes it much easier to access. There may be a procedure in the Volvo repair software, would have to look. Pretty much just undo hose, connect your clear hose and run engine in park until you start to see bubbles in the clear hose. Stop engine, add approx. 2 quarts and repeat until fluid is clean and bright red ;).

Only time flushing can hurt is if the trans has started to slip already. Old fluid can contain particles of clutch lining, resulting in higher friction. Once flushed, you lose the clutch material and the clean fluid isn't able to engage the clutches. Again, don't think you'll have any issue at all. Just possible in extreme circumstances.

Let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help :)

Joe

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Found this post and my V70 XC 2000 (230k miles) now has this P0743 P1618 code quite often.
After reset it will come back after 20 to 30 miles drive. Seems it comes up more often in warm days, and on freeway.

Had radiator and hoses replaced last year. Today I got transmission fluid flushed. But on my way back this still shows up on freeway.

What can I do? So it will not last long and could burn the transmission some day? I wouldn't spend the money on transmission rebuilt or replaced. Maybe my only choice is to avoid long trips and use it as backup car only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts