SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here we go again... now my throttle seems to be sticking open on shifts on the V70R. When I'm accelerating and press in the clutch to upshift, the RPM spikes quite a bit, often to redline. I think the throttle is sticking open for some reason.
I already tried another ETM (I rebuilt the original unit from this car with the Sacer contactless TPS, the one in the car before was a known good used ETM) and that didn't change anything. No codes in VIDA aside from the two codes I've been dealing with for the past couple months relating to the CEL and ETS light signals too low. I'm also still battling the low boost issue, but one thing at a time.

Now let's go through all the things that I've already replaced or tested that could be related to this... TCV, MAF, CBV, wastegate tested (already set to spec), pressure tested intercooler and carefully checked all piping, checked all vacuum lines, checked connections to sensors. There are probably other things I'm forgetting to mention, but I think I've touched all the bases. I'm at a complete loss at this point, I have no idea what to do. The car is barely driveable since it continues to rev for at least a second after letting off the throttle (this ONLY happens while driving, it revs normally in neutral) and it's still not boosting properly (only boosts to 8 PSI). I have a Hilton stage 1 manual swap tune, and I've pretty much eliminated the tune as the issue for the low boost. This issue appeared while the tune was already loaded to the ECU, so I really don't think it has anything to do with this.

Does anyone know why it would do this? I have no idea what to do anymore... this car has given me one headache after another since I got it back on the road a month ago.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
It's not "sticking". The etm has a strong spring to return it up idle.

My best uneducated guess is that ecu load demand is not being curtailed during shifts.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not "sticking". The etm has a strong spring to return it up idle.

My best uneducated guess is that ecu load demand is not being curtailed during shifts.
I know, I was worried that upon reassembling the ETM (I tore it down to almost nothing, I had to replace the shaft that the throttle plate rides on) I hadn't tensioned the spring properly, but the symptoms haven't changed and I have no issues with idle, so I assume I assembled everything properly. I checked it against another ETM I had and it was the same.

I don't know what happened, everything was working fine and it started doing this all of a sudden. It's really awful to drive with, I'll to go shift at 4,000 RPM and if I was heavy on the throttle, the tach will shoot up to 6k before the revs start to drop. It's incredibly annoying.

I have a code for the brake sensor and I've had a code for the clutch sensor (not currently installed) since I flashed the Hilton tune. Could the brake pedal position sensor cause this issue? That code popped up around the same time as this issue, but it may have been around since before that. I have a spare on the shelf I'll install today just to test.
As for the clutch sensor, I don't think that's the problem. I know drivability will improve with it installed, but from what I understand it's not necessary to be able to drive the car and it should affect boost.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
I know, I was worried that upon reassembling the ETM (I tore it down to almost nothing, I had to replace the shaft that the throttle plate rides on) I hadn't tensioned the spring properly, but the symptoms haven't changed and I have no issues with idle, so I assume I assembled everything properly. I checked it against another ETM I had and it was the same.

I don't know what happened, everything was working fine and it started doing this all of a sudden. It's really awful to drive with, I'll to go shift at 4,000 RPM and if I was heavy on the throttle, the tach will shoot up to 6k before the revs start to drop. It's incredibly annoying.

I have a code for the brake sensor and I've had a code for the clutch sensor (not currently installed) since I flashed the Hilton tune. Could the brake pedal position sensor cause this issue? That code popped up around the same time as this issue, but it may have been around since before that. I have a spare on the shelf I'll install today just to test.
As for the clutch sensor, I don't think that's the problem. I know drivability will improve with it installed, but from what I understand it's not necessary to be able to drive the car and it should affect boost.
Ooh. Clutch sensor is your problem. Car doesn't know it's not in gear.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooh. Clutch sensor is your problem. Car doesn't know it's not in gear.
Crap... I know exactly what's wrong. I had the clutch sensor plugged in, but not hooked up to the master cylinder (I have an 850 master, so no nubs to install it). Before, I had the rod slightly depressed where it was hung up. I recently removed it, totally forgot I did that. I'm gonna plug it back in and see if that changes anything.

Can't believe I overlooked that. I'll let you know if it fixes it!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok... so it turns out I didn’t remove it, but the way I had situated it, it was slightly depressed. I moved it out of the way so it was extended fully and the car is acting normal again. Glad it was that easy! Now I wish I hadn’t replaced the ETM for no reason!
Still have low boost, but I noticed the PTC was not fully seated due to the grommet being all chewed up from the last time I removed it. Hopefully a new PTC will solve that issue. I’m so sick of this low boost issue.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
C'mon guys, you should ALL know the answer...you need a new or rebuilt valvebody.
I finally did my wife's 2000 at 145K miles but this just started (or should I say finally). Common and happens to 98% of 2000 to 2002 5 speed automatics.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C'mon guys, you should ALL know the answer...you need a new or rebuilt valvebody.
I finally did my wife's 2000 at 145K miles but this just started (or should I say finally). Common and happens to 98% of 2000 to 2002 5 speed automatics.
I take it you missed the part about my car bring manual swapped.

Very true though. Most all AW55 cars will need a valve body sooner or later.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
Seriously?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Seriously?
He's probably being condescending and/or sarcastic to the OP.

OP still has the Low Boost issue but..

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
You gotta swap the auto back in. Then you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You gotta swap the auto back in. Then you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duh, how did I not think of this sooner? I'll get right to it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts