SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a newbie to the forums here on Swedespeed. Currently I drive a modded 99 VW Passat 1.8T. She's a very nice car but I'm looking for a change. <P>Currently looking at trading her in for either a 2000 V70R, 1998 V70R in Saffron Pearl or a new 2003 V70R. What are things to look for when purchasing a used 2000 and 1998 V70R? Are there any recalls that should be done on the car before I pick it up?<P>I'm just keeping my options open between those 2 MYs. Won't actually buy one until I see a 2003 V70 in person and test drive her. I also know that copper color is a real rare color to find. <P>If I end up with the 2000/1998 V70R, I know I'll be adding a GIAC/IPD chip, Brullen exhaust and maybe swaybars and rims.<P>Is there anything else I should've asked? Any other info I should know about the V70R?<P>TIA<P>Ron<p>[This message has been edited by B518T (edited 09-11-2002).]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ron<BR>I am the proud owner of (2) 2000 V70R's. Lovew my cars! I am selling the silver R NOW! Has 40,000 miles all service records and recalls etc performed by dealer. Car is loaded and in great shape.<BR>The second R is black and I have done ipd ECU and dual exhaust, wastegate adjustment and added 17" Titan wheels in anthracite. Car is FAST...over 300 hp and 350 ft/lbs. Haven't run for times but ipd claims 5.7 0-60 and it feels like it. Also expect 1/4 to be in very low 14 range. This car has 48,000 and I will be keeping and doing tinting and suspension upgrades soon.<BR>The 98 R was the first AWD R model and has 4 speed auto and 236 hp. Saffron was a common R color but is not as resaleable. Black and Silver best for resale.<BR>99 R got a boost to 247hp still 4 speed auto and different wheels.<BR>2000 R has 5 speed auto, larger turbo, larger injectors, larger rotors and calipers and puts out 261 hp and 258 ft/lbs conservatively.<BR>98-99 R's in clean shape go for around $22-26K <BR>and 2000's for about $25-30K but were not offered in Saffron. expect the 2003 to have a sticker of about $44-46K. I am asking for $26,5K for a quick sale. oh yeah then there is the tax including lux tax on the new R. IPD ECU and dual goes for about $1700<P>Jim 773 251 6836

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
The copper color is not that hard to find. Plus, they tend to be harder to sell, so if you find one at a dealer, they might be more willing to play wiht pricing to move the car.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim: Thanks for your advice. Just some more questions for you, have you had any problems with your R's? I've been reading about a lot of electrical problems as well as the bevel gear needing replacement. Are there things I should be looking for if I find one at a lot? I'm not looking to buy immediately unfortunately or I would take that R off your hands. I'm looking at more Spring 2003 to purchase an R (gotta wait until after the winter).<P>From all the problems I've read with the older Rs and it's AWD system, I am leaning towards a new 2003 V70R. <P>I didn't think Saffron Pearl was that popular. Thought it was more of a limited edition number color. But that is good to know that the dealers are more willing to play with the pricing.<P>Thanks for the help guys!<P>Ron

·
Administrator
55,914 Posts
Re: (B518T)

I'd also like to know if there were any differences with early build date '00s (june-december 1999 builds) vs later builds of the '00. Were there any mid-year changes during production?<p>

·
Registered
305 Posts
Re: (B518T)

I have a 98 V70R, which I bought with 50k miles. I now have 75k miles and have not had any electrical problems. The only problems I have are with the brakes. The front right caliper seized up on me and the rear rotors are probably warped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts