SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Been a while. And Prospero, haven't forgotten about you, it's just that with all this mild weather up here (for the most part) the main concern has become getting the car running well

The issue the V70 is now having is rough idle, stalling when left idling for a bit, and a likelihood to stall if you rev the engine quickly.

Took it to a shop (Scandinavian Service) and they replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor in December. It seemed to cure the problems and all was well until about a week or so ago.

My friend called the shop and received a major attitude on the phone ("Lady, a check engine light could mean anything!" and so on, talking to her like she was a not so nice guy). All she said was that the car had been serviced there previously and was having the exact same symptoms, and she was looking for an appointment to bring it in

In any case, what else could it be on this vehicle? I'm going to disconnect the MAF this afternoon and see if it does the same thing. If it does, they get to replace the part under warranty. If it doesn't, then I keep thinking it's the Oxygen sensor, but since they're so expensive we can't just put parts into it.

Cliffs- Very rough idle, stalling, Mass Airflow Replaced, what else could it be?

Thanks, as always, for everyone's help and insight!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, got the results from the scan they ran. Indicated a vacuum leak, which they fixed, but it also stated there was a communication problem with the throttle body.

The man said that there was a recall issued for the throttle body and if it's under warranty then it would be covered, otherwise it's a $1K part. Not sure about that. Will try to post up the error codes or scans of the code sheet. Right now, it's running well again after clearing the codes, etc.

Also, I was planning on buying a scantool (Actron CP9145) to scan errors in not only my vehicles, but hopefully the V70 as well. Anyone have any ideas as to whether the tool will work with the Volvo? I sent Actron an email, but haven't gotten a response as yet.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (doc_rage)

Let a VOLVO dealer do the ETM warranty work, if in fact, that is what it is

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that was the suggestion of the shop as well. What is the warranty limit though? It's a 2000 and has over 100K miles on it. If it is not covered by the dealer, what would be the best way to go with it?

Nevermind, did a search and found the 200K/10 years indicated. I will have her take the sheet of error codes with her to the dealer. Would they be able to deny it since the codes have been cleared and the vehicle is again running reasonably well, despite the printout?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (doc_rage)

10 yrs, 200K miles
You should NOT have cleared codes, they are "different" from VIDA codes. You made their job harder

·
Registered
5 Posts
doc_rage, I am from frederick as well and just purchased a S70. Where do you take the car for service and have you tried University Auto over on 355 for any service work?

Take care and hope you get your throttle body fixed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, we didn't know about this whole warranty issue or that it was something that the dealer may be able to remedy from the onset, so when we took it to the shop we just figured that the codes should be cleared
. If it was an error to do so, it was an honest one. We still have the print out off all the codes and errors, and if need be, the car will start acting up again (as it did) and she can take it to them directly.

Hello beef1020! She was taking her car to Scandinavian Auto Service down in Rockville, which will not be happening anymore. You're the second one to suggest University Auto, so I think I may be directing her over to them once this warranty issue is cleared up.

I appreciate the info guys! Hope this gets cleared up soon! Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Don't worry, you did what most of us would have done with clearing the codes. At least you had the good idea to write them down. Good luck with your car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: 2000 V70 Rough idle, stalling..... (doc_rage)

Hello all!

Just an update on the V70. It started to act up again and this time my friend took it to the dealership right by her. She went armed with printed information about the ETM, etc. She had also asked to see what the car would need for MD inspection (out of state vehicle).

They said the car needed over $3K worth of work:

"Airmass Sensor Range Too High (she JUST had that replaced at Scandinavian)

Will need new T-body and PCV housing
-MSI (Not sure what this is, but it has an arrow pointing from the above to it)

Heat does not work. Have to install break out box (what the heck is that?)......"

There was quite a bit more to the list, but it's things that I can take care of, such as cleaning the seat switch contacts, bulbs, tie rod (left inner), and such.

The ones listed were the ones that I had no idea what they were talking about. Does the ETM service not cover the throttle body and PCV housing? How do you replace that?

As always, I appreciate everyone's guidance!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

ETM IS the throttle body and IS covered
I would INSIST they replace the throttle body and install the new software which is covered under warranty first.
If they refuse, call Volvo: 1 800 VOLVO-25 (I believe)
I don't know what all other problems you have but they sound unrelated

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: 2000 V70 Rough idle, stalling..... (JRL)

VERY quick reply!

Thank you so much, JRL! I will let her know. Will try to post the estimate soon.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

BTW, no "heat" is not a requirement for ANY state inspection

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: 2000 V70 Rough idle, stalling..... (JRL)

Oh yeah, the heat part I knew. It was more because it hasn't worked in a while and was curious if it was something I could do to help her out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts