SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
really need some help on this one... Short version of the story.

The last time it snowed heavily here my wife drove through a big snowbank. She, of course, neglected to tell me about it until a week later after the car had driven progressively worse and would hardly start.

Well, we shoved it into the garage and drove the 3rd car until the weather broke, and then took it to my former independent shop. They looked at it and determined that my wife, when driving through the snowbank pulled the connector for the right rear O2 sensor loose. Then, driving the car, with the check engine light on (which she ignored), friction with the ground got rid of both sides of the connector. I have bare wires on each side now.

The independent shop suspects that the ECM is bad due to the water from the snowbank conducting the bare wires on the engine side. There are 8 codes set off in the computer right now, and it hardly runs any longer. It was progressively running worse and worse, I guess.

Anyhow, my brain says fix the O2 sensor first, then see what else is wrong with it. The indy shop told me the sensor was damaged and needed replacement along with the computer. We stuffed it back into the garage until the weather broke and this is the first time I've had to crawl under it.

I have discovered that the majority of the clips that hold the o2 sensor wires to the heat shield have not been displaced or moved. I see no evidence that the sensor is damaged other than the plug is gone and the wires are bare.

I think what I should do, is reconnect the o2 sensor that's in the car with heat shrink insulated butt splice connectors, clear the codes and see what comes back.

My problem is that the wire colors are different and I don't know which wire is which.

the wires on the car side are: black, grey, green, green w/colored stripe. The wires on the sensor are: black, grey, white and white.

Common sense tells me to match the black to black, grey to grey, and white to green and green w/stripe. But, I know that common sense and Volvo don't necessarily apply to one another.

Does anyone have a better wiring diagram than I've got, that shows the colors? I haven't even tried to buy the connector from volvo. I figured that was a fruitless exercise that'll just piss me off.

Also, has anyone had their ECM rebuilt that could recommend someone in case I have to go down that road, or recommend where I could buy a used one? Its a 2000 s80 T6 with 80k miles, and today the dash looks like a christmas tree with all the pretty lights, <sigh> <grr>

I'm new here, but hopeful someone will help me fix this mess.

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Re: 2000 S80 T6 - Oxygen Sensor Problems - NEED HELP (retailguy)

I can't find the diagram for something like that on VADIS, you would need to ask someone with VIDA. From what i saw they have wiring diagrams and everything on there. Best bet. Not sure who has VIDA on the forum, maybe someone else can chime in on who to ask for that.

·
Registered
26 Posts

My VADIS shows for a late-2000 ME7 system:

There is no second white on the sensor. Could it be gray and just looks white?

Black to Black
Green to Green
Gray to Gray
White to Green with Brown Stripe

Can you give more info if your car is an early-2000 or uses other than the ME7 system?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 2000 S80 T6 - Oxygen Sensor Problems - NEED HELP (vegasjetskier)

Not sure what I have but I think I figured out the wiring. The second wire on the sensor is definitely white.

Essentially the green wire with the brown stripe is the power wire for the heater. That makes the green wire the return for the heater. That left black & Gray, staring hard at the damn diagram, I figured out that the black wire was the signal wire, which left gray for the ground.

So, if anyone cares here you go:

rear passenger:

Black on the car goes to black on the sensor (signal)
Grey on the car goes to grey on the sensor (ground)
Green on the car goes to white on the sensor (heater return)
Green/brn stripe on the car goes to white on the sensor (power)

rear driver:

brown on the car goes to black on the sensor (signal)
yellow/blk stripe on the car goes to grey on the sensor (ground)
green/blue stripe on the car goes to white on the sensor (heater return)
green/brn strip on the car goes to white on the sensor (power).

So, that got the sensor reconnected. Still have issues. Still need help. Please see next post.... THANKS

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

per the above, I reconnected sensor. Disconnected battery overnight to fully clear codes (I was tired, went to bed
).

Next, I reconnected battery, switched key on didn't start car. Read codes.

Had ONE code. P0238 (turbo boost sensor circuit high)

Started car. It started right up, but was missing.

Let run 15 seconds. Shut off. re-checked codes.

Have 4 -

P0238 - turbo boost sensor circuit high
P0118 - engine coolant temp sensor high
P0452 - evap pressure sensor low voltage
p0103 - mass airflow circuit high

So, bad ground? Don't know. Only wire I've been able to figure out so far is the maf sensor. The violet/white wire appears to be the sensor ground. Tomorrow I'll check for continuity.

If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate your guidance. I'm dangerous with tools. I can replace things, but troubleshooting is not within my skill set. That's why I became an accountant.

thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
193 Posts

I think that would have to do with the ECM now. Those components are definitely controlled by the ECM. If thats damaged it might be sending higher voltages to those parts of the engine. Thats my guess.

Vegasjetskier, how did you find the wiring diagrams on VADIS, i wasn't able to find them myself. And also, because you found that is it possible to find the answer to my other post:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=115558

I wasn't able to find the info on VADIS either. Sorry for the high jack retailguy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 2000 S80 T6 - Oxygen Sensor Problems - NEED HELP (POLSKA)

Update.

Car is still not fixed. All the continuity checks that I did indicated that the ECM was bad. I took it to the dealer, who confirmed that.

After discussion with dealer, I purchased a used ECM from a salvage yard. Volvo refuses to release programming to dealer to re-program used ECM. My local dealer says that policy has changed, and if he could clear used ECM he could reprogram.

Volvo insists that I must purchase new ECM from Volvo, OR, I can put my used ECM back into the car it came from, take that car to dealer and "unprogram" while in car. (yeah right)

Service manager has worked with area rep, who refuses to do anything to help. Policies are policies after all.

I have found a 3rd party company in Tennessee who thinks they may be able to rebuild my existing ECM for $389. They claim their repair work doesn't affect programming and that the car should be fine. They charge $55 in the event my unit is not rebuildable.

The volvo mechanic told me that if I could find some way to "unprogram" my used unit, he can reprogram. Does anyone know if this can be done?

Are there any 3rd party programming options?

I sense I'm really screwed here and I don't like it. Clearly this will be my last Volvo. I've never seen anything like this, EVER.

Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.

retailguy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: 2000 S80 T6 - Oxygen Sensor Problems - NEED HELP (POLSKA)

Update.

Car is still not fixed. All the continuity checks that I did indicated that the ECM was bad. I took it to the dealer, who confirmed that.

After discussion with dealer, I purchased a used ECM from a salvage yard. Volvo refuses to release programming to dealer to re-program used ECM. My local dealer says that policy has changed, and if he could clear used ECM he could reprogram.

Volvo insists that I must purchase new ECM from Volvo, OR, I can put my used ECM back into the car it came from, take that car to dealer and "unprogram" while in car. (yeah right)

Service manager has worked with area rep, who refuses to do anything to help. Policies are policies after all.

I have found a 3rd party company in Tennessee who thinks they may be able to rebuild my existing ECM for $389. They claim their repair work doesn't affect programming and that the car should be fine. They charge $55 in the event my unit is not rebuildable.

The volvo mechanic told me that if I could find some way to "unprogram" my used unit, he can reprogram. Does anyone know if this can be done?

Are there any 3rd party programming options?

I sense I'm really screwed here and I don't like it. Clearly this will be my last Volvo. I've never seen anything like this, EVER.

Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.

retailguy

·
Registered
56 Posts
I suspect it is a liability issue for Volvo. They don't want an ECM to cause injury or death if installed in a vehicle without them having a record of it. I would do as they suggest. i.e. put the original ECM back into the vehicle and bring to the dealership to have it 'unprogrammed'. Then install and have the used ECM 're'programmed. Lawyers and sue happy people are really to blame for such issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (dcarlson12)

Maybe I wasn't very clear above.

The car is at Volvo. I purchased a used ECM from a junkyard vehicle, which can't be taken to the dealership. There is a code that Volvo needs to issue to the dealership, to unprogram said ECM, which they won't do.

I don't understand how this is a liability or safety issue. The mechanic has throughly tested the used ECM and it functions fine, but Volvo refuses to release programming unless I buy a new ECM, or drag a junkyard vehicle to the dealership to have it "unprogrammed".

I can't see this as anything but forcing me to buy a product that I don't need to get a product that I do need. By "forcing" me to bring a junkyard vehicle to the dealership, they are making it "uneconomical" or "impractical" to use a used part. Then, they get to sell me a new part (which I don't need) AND the programming. I see no safety or liability issue whatsoever. Just greed.

Quite honestly, it is likely me that will sue volvo before this is over. If that makes me "sue happy" then so be it.

Modified by retailguy at 11:16 AM 5-18-2009

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Re: (retailguy)

Volvo dealers don't deal in used parts.

You should not expect them to give a flying **** when you bring in a used part for the express purpose of you saving yourself big fat coin. Since reprogramming an ECU is NOT a DIYer-friendly task, you really don't have any other alternative in this case other than playing by the dealer's rules and not your own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Dextrobrick)

Wow. Not sure what I said that set you off, but would it change your perspective if I told you that I got the salvage dealers information from my Volvo service department? I did. They offered to procure the part for me, but told me that I could get it cheaper, and, it would be a bit faster that way. I used their vendor and purchased the part on my own.

Next, you made these comments without seeing both the warranty history and the personal repair history on this vehicle. You might change your mind if you saw my 3 inch thick repair file. This file has my local dealership offering me the product at cost because even they agree that Volvo's position is merit less and stupid.

Finally, I don't really care what volvo thinks or what they don't. At some fundamental level this is about a relationship with a loyal customer who has spent many thousands of dollars at volvo authorized repair centers over the years. Soaking me for a FOURTH ECM is not something that Volvo USA should be excited about or insistent on. At least that's my point of view.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.