SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! During a recent rain, our 2000 S40 was parked at the curb which filled with water up to the middle of the wheels. Water came in over the front and rear passenger door thresholds and was about 2" deep over the carpet, front and back. I moved the car from the street to the sloped driveway with the left front tire high, right rear low to keep the water on the right side of the car. I bailed water down to the carpet, then removed the back seat(s) so I could lift the carpet, squeeze out the water and blow fans for a couple of days.

Most of the water is out, but I'm afraid of what might still be under the front seats and whether there are any electronics, etc. that could be damaged if the foam rubber isn't completely dry.

How hard is it to remove both front seats? Driver's is powered, both are heated. Do I remove the seats from the rails, then remove the rails? If I take off the trim around the seats, is the removal obvious? Do I have to take out the console, too? Can I get the front carpet out without moving anything under the dash?

Thanks. This S40 which we bought new has only 85K miles and we'd like to run it for another ten years or so. The only problem with it is the controller for the A/C and heat, but that's another topic.

Any other advice for drying out the car would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Stephen in Myrtle Beach SC

P.S. What is the black wire sensor under the middle of the rear seat? A black wire from the front is taped down about 3 inches right of center with a plastic cap.

·
Registered
77 Posts
P.S. What is the black wire sensor under the middle of the rear seat? A black wire from the front is taped down about 3 inches right of center with a plastic cap.
Either you've been wire tapped or the car was previously owned by a suspected criminal or spy.

As for seat removal, I had wet carpets in my '05 S40, was a pretty straight forward job, although unplugging the wiring harness under the seat set off a few codes/air bag sensor needed to be reset by the dealer (cost $50). Also, I suspected it was coming in during rain storms too, but turned out it was the A/C drain plug that was clogged...not sure if that issue applied to your year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently changing all the seats in my 01 s40. I took out the entire old seats - including the rails. It took me some time, but I'm sure I am not the most handy person on this forum! Only one bolt is really hard to get at since it is under the center compartment (required bending the plastic moulding at the bottom w/ screwdriver).

Anyway, taking seats out was easy enough, and I got the front seats back in. No codes or resets required for me...

The rear seats will be more tricky to reinstall and I have that to look forward to this weekend :) As for the floor mats, I am getting all weather. Maybe a dehumidifyer in your car could help w/ water?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am currently changing all the seats in my 01 s40. I took out the entire old seats - including the rails. It took me some time, but I'm sure I am not the most handy person on this forum! Only one bolt is really hard to get at since it is under the center compartment (required bending the plastic moulding at the bottom w/ screwdriver).

Anyway, taking seats out was easy enough, and I got the front seats back in. No codes or resets required for me...

The rear seats will be more tricky to reinstall and I have that to look forward to this weekend :) As for the floor mats, I am getting all weather. Maybe a dehumidifyer in your car could help w/ water?
When mine took on the Adriatic Sea a dehumidifier did nothing...the carpeting is actually almost 3/4 of a food of noise dampening foam which sucks up probably 30lbs of water...it required completely removing the carpet and letting it dry in the Sun for 3 days and then spraying it with several coats of anti-mildew. I still drove the car with the interior removed, was a tad louder, but made me feel like I was in a modded track car 8D. I also suggest that while all of the interior is removed, get a wire brush and a cream rust remover and remove any interior rust from the seat rails and any other rust prone (unpainted/untreated) bolts and metal bits, and then wipe clean and re-spray with a rust preventing oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts