SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Is anyone running 215X45X17 wheels on there S/V 40? And if yes are you having any problums? I was between 215X40X17 and 215X45X17 and was not sure the best way to go. so it never hurts to ask someone that has already done it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
298 Posts
The tire to fit is the 215/40/17, and as mounted on a 7.5" wheel will give you an approx. 8.5" thread width, which varies by tire manufacturer, but the 8.5 will not rub, as I use a 205/55/15 Bridgestone Potenza S-03 which has a thread width of 8.6" as mounted to a 7.0" wheel. The overall diameter of both tires is 23.9", and the static loaded radius varies by only 0.1", the plus for the 17" tire, which will give one more revs/mile for the two comparisons.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The tire industry pegs this tire(215/40/17) for a wheel which measures 7.0 to 8.0" in width. 7.5 is used as the "measuring size" for the specs as noted and tested. A 0.5" difference in wheel width will affect the measured tire SECTION WIDTH by 0.20" plus or minus, vs the plus or minus in the wheel width.
P.S. The tire and wheel we are discussing, is an OE size for 99-01 Mercedes-Benz SL500/SL600--tell that to Tire Rack!!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just happened to think why Tire Rack will not sell you the 7.5" wheels--they don't have a wheel with the proper OFFSETT that will work on the S40 with your tire size. The OE S40 wheel has an offsett of 44mm, and one doesn't want to have a variance of more than 5mm in a wheel selection for a proper fit. Thus the max wheel offsett would be 39mm, but I would stay as close to the OE 44mm as possible in your selection of an after-market wheel.

My suggestion would be the Mille Miglia-- CELLO, which does come in the 17" wheel, but I don't know the widths--a 7.0 would work, and the design is almost the same as the new 2003 40 alloy wheel. The offsett is 41mm to my knowledge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.