SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,<P>Need your help again. I have a 2000 V40 I was looking at going from the stock 15in. wheel to a 17in wheel. I was on the phone with a guy from Tire rack yesterday he said that his computer stated that I have to go 205x45x17, intern I told him I wanted to go 215x40x17, and he said that I would be on my own, and that Tire rack would take no liability because he told me that they will not work. He said something about interfering with the suspension or rubbing or something like that.<BR>My question will I have any problems like rubbing etc. if I go to 215x45x17. I trust you guys more than him because there are a lot of you out there with S/V 40 that have gone to 17in.<P>Thanks for the help.<P>David -<BR>

·
Registered
298 Posts
Watch the offset of the wheel that you select, as the OE is 44mm, and the max recommended difference by the experts is 5mm. Thus a 39mm wheel would be the max.<P>A 17" wheel will increase the turn-in response of a vehicle vs the OE 15" due to the smaller sidewall to flex, but width of a tire does not directly relate to the final handling, as one can use a narrower tire with a softer rubber compound and accomplish the same or better response per the tire in comparison.<P>Tirerack also ran a test on MAX PERFORMANCE tires, and the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 beat the Michelin Pilot Sport, and the Perelli PZero Rosso Assimetrico as mounted on 17X8 Wheels, using 225/45/17 size tyres on a 2000 BMW 3428Ci E46 chassis vehicle. Insist on hub-centric wheels, or the METAL ALLOY inserts from the wheel manufacturer to bring the wheel into the hub-centric dimensions of the S40 hub. The final question is the combined weight of the new tire on the new rim, so as to not overload the unsprung weight on the suspension. <P>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts