SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have S80 2.9 which we bought in 2000 (2000 model year). It has about 15kmiles on it. Recently it has been in dealer's shop longer then on the road for various problems.
Problem 1. Front suspension was making noise when was going over the bumps, dealer replaced bushing for the stabilizer bar, then noise went away.
Problem 2. Got warning that airbag failed, dealer replaced the aibag sense unit. Warning went away
Problem 3. Got warning to shut down engine because it lost coolant. Coolant in expansion tank got 1 millimeter below minimum level. Added half cup coolant, message went away.
Problem 4. While stopping at traffic light brakes failed, car took about 50ft longer to stop, thank god there were no cars coming accross. Got message that brakes failed. Dealer replaced master brake cylinder.
Problem 5. while adjusting tilt on steering wheel, locking plastic handle broke, dealer replaced it.
Problem 6. At sharp turns steering pump was noisy, added ATF to steering fluid tank problem went away.
Even though some of the problems are routine and maintanance related, I was wondering if some other Volvo owners experineced the same problems. Message center is smart, but sometimes is too stupid like in case of coolant it detected but in case of steering fluid it did not. I had a 1985 Volvo 740 GLE before which was still running with 230KMiles when I traded it in for S80, considering the hefty price about $40K for the S80, I thought it will be as reliable as my 85'740 GLE. But it is not.
I was wondering if there are any upcoming problems with S80 that I have not seen yet, because we do not drive it much only 7Kmiles a year. Friend of mine has 2001 S60 2.4T with 20Kmiles, and did not have any problems with it.
Please let me know S80 owners.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I don't think your problems (with the exception of brake failure) were all that big.

My father did have a problem with the front suspension. The thing was rocking like a small boat in a hurricane. I almost got seasick driving it. I don't know what was wrong, but he took it to the dealer and they fixed it no questions asked.

I wouldn't be too worried. Ford is probably just teaching Volvo how to cut corners and make money. I own a Ford (see sig) and believe me, they are good at that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My wife's 2000 S80 2.9 had some annoying problems with the door locks that would either self lock or unlock, depending on the exact opposite wish of the operator. Finally after the actuator was replaced the third time it seems to work fine now.

We did have the airbag sensor failure also, along with one of the headlight bulbs burning out after 2 years. We also had the clunk in the front suspension whenone of the bolts loosened.

Other than that, it's been fine. I'll warn her about the master cylinder, tho. That sounds like a serious problem. I'll have to keep an eye on the coolant and power steering fluid levels.

But my 2001 S60 T5 has been just fine, the only serious problem was the key fob recall.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I dont know about you, but I think the brake thing is pretty major in a car that has less than 20k. Thats not acceptable in a car with 100k let alone 20. I had a '99 T6 and had very few issues with the car. Although I did spend my fair amount of time at dealer it was for sensor issues rather than mechanical things. I put about 36k on the car before I traded it in Jan. You should have that brake thing looked at very seriously and determine why the master cylinder crapped out so early. Is something else causing it to fail? Wouldnt want you to have a mishap like that again. You must have soiled your shorts on your way thru the intersection with no brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts