SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this week I hit another major milestone with my original owner car, 200,000 miles! I know others have gone past this mark years ago, but I live in Alaska where we don't have interstate highways traversing the country, these miles were mostly my daily driver commute to work miles. I've had a few weird issues over the years but all in all it has been a great car.

Speedometer Measuring instrument Gauge Tachometer Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Volvo cars Volvo v50

·
Registered
397 Posts
Gratz on the milestone. Keep it up!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well this week I hit another major milestone with my original owner car, 200,000 miles! I know others have gone past this mark years ago, but I live in Alaska where we don't have interstate highways traversing the country, these miles were mostly my daily driver commute to work miles. I've had a few weird issues over the years but all in all it has been a great car.

View attachment 54893

View attachment 54895
Name some of those weird issues?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Name some of those weird issues?
Rear drive shaft (prop shaft) which seemed impossible to diagnose and endless front wheel shimmy (many front rotor replacements, wheels, tires). Most of the car's wear items are original like shocks, bushings, end links, engine, transmission, exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
.....endless front wheel shimmy (many front rotor replacements, wheels, tires). Most of the car's wear items are original like shocks, bushings, end links, engine, transmission, exhaust, etc.
Lower Control Arms will definitely fix that. At least for me and many others. Also, new shocks and bushings will make it ride nicer, but will also ride differently due to newer parts and especially alignment issue. I did most of my suspension system not long ago (F & R struts, shocks, mounts, bearings, end links, lower control arms) and my car has a very difficult time to get it aligned since the cambers are non-adjustable. Overall it drives straight but wanders a bit and steering feels light. I tried four times at different alignment shops and my car still feels weird and not like how 'grounded' it used to be. Not sure if taking it in to Volvo to get it aligned would do the trick. Some say newer/type tires will. Back on subject - again, I'm sure a set of new LCA will cure your front shimmying problem.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lower Control Arms will definitely fix that. At least for me and many others. Also, new shocks and bushings will make it ride nicer, but will also ride differently due to newer parts and especially alignment issue. I did most of my suspension system not long ago (F & R struts, shocks, mounts, bearings, end links, lower control arms) and my car has a very difficult time to get it aligned since the cambers are non-adjustable. Overall it drives straight but wanders a bit and steering feels light. I tried four times at different alignment shops and my car still feels weird and not like how 'grounded' it used to be. Not sure if taking it in to Volvo to get it aligned would do the trick. Some say newer/type tires will. Back on subject - again, I'm sure a set of new LCA will cure your front shimmying problem.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Congratulations! I took my first '05 V50 T5 to just 3K shy of 200K miles when it was taken out by a suicidal deer 3 years ago. I'm up to 148K on my 2nd V50.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations! I took my first '05 V50 T5 to just 3K shy of 200K miles when it was taken out by a suicidal deer 3 years ago. I'm up to 148K on my 2nd V50.
Nice! That's a lot of driving!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Very Impressive considering where you live. After 14 years I am at 239,000 miles. No Idea how far it will go. But I am staring to see paint bubbling up at one spot on outer body. Makes me wonder whats under all that lower body plastic. Mine is an AWD automatic. Sounds like most of us have had the same problems over the years.
This is the thread from a few years ago https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?217443-200-000-Mile-Club-P1-Platform
Anyone hit 300 yet ? I am sure some have. Greg

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Congratulations on the 200K mark!

I want to hit that mileage with my car but I'm only at 130,000 miles and only add about 10k miles per year, so it will be while longer.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congratulations on the 200K mark!

I want to hit that mileage with my car but I'm only at 130,000 miles and only add about 10k miles per year, so it will be while longer.
You'll get there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts