SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed an order for a black XC90 yesterday with Inscription and air suspensions. I like the 20" silver/black rims (234), so I added those. But, I am a bit undecided since I've not seen them in real life yet. I can make changes for another couple of days before it's locked. I am consicering the 21" 8-spoke as an option. Any testimonials/suggestions?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I love the 8-spoke 21 inches but decided to go with 20" 234s. My decision was after receiving advise from a friend who owns an X5 with big wheels. Basically 20" tires are more comfortable an cheaper to replace than the 21". They are are still big to where they still look nice. Of al the 20" I thought the 234s looked the nicest.

Good luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
What I really want is the R-Design 22" wheels with the Inscription model. 22" tires will undoubtedly be cheaper because it's a more popular size than an uncommon 21" wheel size. I have 23" wheels on my F-150 and those tires are hard to find and they aren't cheap because of the uncommon size.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
What I really want is the R-Design 22" wheels with the Inscription model. 22" tires will undoubtedly be cheaper because it's a more popular size than an uncommon 21" wheel size. I have 23" wheels on my F-150 and those tires are hard to find and they aren't cheap because of the uncommon size.
Love the 22" R-Design wheels, will be getting those for sure when it's time to order :D Also planning on getting 22" for our F150, don't want to go too big since it's a work truck lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
i have a black inscription with the 20" matte wheels. It wasn't possible to order that way, but the factory messed up my order and didn;t put my 21's on, so the dealer offered the 20" matte black wheels. I absolutely love the combination, and now definitely would not trade for the 21" 8 spokes (which i still think look great) even if i had the opportunity to. The matte 20's visually look as big (something about the way the wheel disappears gives the illusion) and i get the added benefit of the extra rubber which is a nice day to day benefit. couldn't recommend the combination more if you are able to order it that way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you for your input! I was at the dealer this morning as they got some more models yesterday with different rims. I was a bit disappointed with the matte black as they looked more gray than black (but they looked really good on the roughed luxury kit). The strong point of these rims are their design, not their color. As I’ve ordered a black inscription I’d hoped to that the matte “black” rims would underscore the body color better. The 20-inch in chrome I think look to small for this vehicle (I agree with you rocketair on the visual point of the matte black). Of course, it comes down to a matter of personal taste, and for me the only «sensible» option was then the 21-inch. As I see it, the cons of the 21-inch is that you’ll feel bumps in the road better and that they are a bit more noisy. The pros are that they emphasize the inscription-chrome-look better and that they look super awesome when it comes to style and size :) This fully loaded car cost more than $137.000 with the diesel engine here in Norway, so upgrade and running cost for the 21-inch disappears in the big picture of a car that is far too expensive already.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wish that the so inch 234 style were available with the Inscription here in the USA. I tried really hard to get it that way, but you can't here. I almost bought a set of them as snow tire wheels, but they were just a little bit too expensive. I wish someone wanted to trade me their set of 234 20' wheels for my inscription 8 spoke 21s. Any takers in New England, haha?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's always too expensive when it comes to cars. You gave me an excellent idea, Mothetgoo. I changed my winter wheels from a 19-inch set to to a set of 234's in 20 inches. 275/45r20 might be a bit too wide in snow and on ice, but I think it will be alright as long as I don't push it too hard when going downhill on ice.

BTW, what's the thing with different options for different markets? I get it when it comes to engines (because of national regulations and such), but not when it comes to wheels. Makes no sence! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts