Plugs are less than a year old.
83k on the motor
fresh synthetic oil every 5k miles
new tires, no cupping or vibrating at the wheel
fresh oil and air filters
91 or better for gas
passes emissions with flying colors
new brake pads, rotors, fluid checked

WTF... I get a combined 15-16 mpg and I don't have a led foot. I don't know how much more of this I can take. $200-300 a month in gas and I barely leave the city. I've gathered that I'm getting under 10mpg on my way to and from work every day.

The car runs great. No smells, no weird idle, nothing alarming. 3 mechanics said the thing feels great, yet no one knows why it gets such terrible gas mileage.

HELP ME PLEASE.

Or seriously, I have to sell it. At ~$600 a month b/t gas, insurance, and car payment, I am thinking the joy of the turbo may not be worth it.

It's in incredible shape. Let me know if you want it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
*Edit, 1 year later, not 2...*

2007 v50 T5 AWD

Plugs are less than a year old.
83k on the motor
fresh synthetic oil every 5k miles
new tires, no cupping or vibrating at the wheel
fresh oil and air filters
91 or better for gas
passes emissions with flying colors
new brake pads, rotors, fluid checked

WTF... I get a combined 15-16 mpg and I don't have a led foot. I don't know how much more of this I can take. $200-300 a month in gas and I barely leave the city. I've gathered that I'm getting under 10mpg on my way to and from work every day.

The car runs great. No smells, no weird idle, nothing alarming. 3 mechanics said the thing feels great, yet no one knows why it gets such terrible gas mileage.

HELP ME PLEASE.

Or seriously, I have to sell it. At ~$600 a month b/t gas, insurance, and car payment, I am thinking the joy of the turbo may not be worth it.

It's in incredible shape. Let me know if you want it.
Hey, I own an 05 s40 and I'm starting to notice a drop in the mpg. I thought it was my sister who drives my car and she has a led foot. I on the other hand drive kinda slow and barely rev the engine. Now, I am driving constantly and a 40 dollar fill up with premium gas a 76 on sunday night is gone by wednesday. I understand its a 5 cylinder car but I'm mostly on the highway and use cruise control a lot. When I bought the car like 3 months ago a full tank lasted from monday to saturday. I also noticed my car lacks acceleration even though its a 2.4i, sometimes it just slugs to get back up to 60 or 70 mph after I had to slow down from traffic congestion. I love the car, I always walk out and see it and just love the fierce look and I also like how the back has a great look to it. Looks very modern and interior is great. But, it is really costing me some money for gas. i get around 18 mpg now. It has 93,xxx miles right now and also am considering selling it. If anyone is interested you can see my posts. I have a few pictures of my rim paint job. Before and after. Pink in hand. Work might be done to it before purchase. If interested let me know thanks.

Also Good luck with your v50, I considered a v50 when searching for volvos.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's interesting. My sisters 07' s40 t5 awd is at a constant 24-26 mpg average. No city driving and very easy on the throttle so that obviously has a lot to do with it. Sitting at 125K right now.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I only get 17 so not far off. 93 gas with 20% e85 sometimes.

Check your coilpacks. Pcv system, vaccum system.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have the 2.4i and will get 28 with 50/50 driving, but 32-34 with all highway. Invest in a scangauge II, about $150 and tells you when you get bad mpg at the moment, or good mpg. I have the tires at 36psi, and use 91 oct. Im sure the mpg should be worse with the turbo, but not that much worse. Large quantities of energy is lost braking, reduce braking and mpg will go up. This could involve coasting to a stop sign (in gear) and time it to coast from 60mph to 30mph, most people would be going 60 then brake from 60-0, if you coast until your car goes to 35mph you use way less ways of fuel. The longer you coast the slower you go, but you will find a happy medium. A cold engine will never do good, I will get awful mpg driving anywhere less than 12 miles, I usually get half the mpg. Idling until warm with suck way more gas btw. I heard it take about 7 seconds of fuel used while idling to start the motor, So if i wait any longer than 1 minute I turn off the engine, (be careful about starting the car too much).

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Get an alignment, up tire pressures and look up how to hyper mile.

However if you do city driving, it is the real mpg killer. All highway you should at least hit 30 mpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
The humble 1.6D gets you 74 MPG, and when the empty tank light comes on, it still got 110 miles to go before it is completely dry

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't seen any sort of spots or smelled anything that would indicate a gas leak, but you're not the first person to suggest this....

As far as tire pressure goes, I'm fine there. The car also drives great which makes me think it's not coil packs or vacuum related...

Maybe it's just the constant stop and go of living in the city. I reset the avg mpg meter and after 3 days it says 13mpg avg.... That's so low...

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is rather bad.

My 1.7 ton behemoth of an XC70 2.5T Geartronic gets about 17mpg in town and 24mpg on the open road.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hmmmmm....something ain't right. I have put about 4000 miles on my T5 FWD (total on car = 40K) since acquiring it in June and I have about 12 stop lights on a 15 mile trip (each way) back and forth to work M-F, so it is a good mix of stop and go with some open road cruising. I have consistently averaged close to 30 MPG and while cruising at 75 mph on the I-5, can get over 35 MPG, so I am more than pleased with the mileage. While I would not consider myself a lead-foot, I am not ever looking to max out on economy. The reason I acquired the T5 was to get rid of my 15 - 20 MPG Xterra (which I loved except for the fuel economy). Driving the same route, I am now paying 1/2 of what I was before which was the goal. Best of luck resolving the issue.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You should be getting at least a little bit better. My commute is about 12 miles with 8 stop lights all city driving. 40-45 mph though I'm usually doing about 60 on the way to work (I'm always running late) and I get 18-19 with a heavy foot (the T5 is too much fun). Tires around 35 psi, 91 octane (high altitude), synthetic fluids. My first couple weeks I had the car I averaged 13 mpg because I couldnt resist spooling up the turbo. My one long trip of all highway I got around 30 mpg.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Maybe this thread will answer my poor mpg I've been dragging for over two years. Today I'm at 17.2mpg, bumper to bumper traffic 50% of the time. Not especially hard footed though not entirely calm either. No oil lost what so ever. Engine is running alright. I'm thinking replacing the coils and the TCV, but really I have no idea what I'm doing with this . . .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brought mine into the shop today. Car threw no weird codes, no burning oil per last oil change, coolant system is doing its job, car is running well.
It must just be the 30 stop signs between my house and work...

This is not a city car. :( I hate to make a permanent adjustment to a temporary problem. I won't always live in the city. But who knows how long I'll be here.

:$

·
Registered
555 Posts
Stop and go seems to kill the milage on these cars. The really sad part is that the Volvo only gets a few more mpg commuting to work that my Isuzu did when I was daily driving it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I get a pretty consistent 16.3 on the average mpg reading. Mostly City with two 12 minute highway blasts per day. I drive aggressively with a mix of coasting for mpg's on a Stage 1 ecu tune.

The 235/40's on 18"s took away some mpg's right off the bat. I suspect I'd get better mpg coasting at high speeds. Besides a lead foot, I tend to idle a lot. As you sit at idle, you can literally watch the avg mpg displayed go down after a minute of idling.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts