SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to get my hands on a pair of complete HS8 Carburettors cheaply. My car currently has 1.75" SU's and I'm going to be installing the iPD street torque cam kit along with some head work and thought the 2" SU's might help extract some extra power. Has anyone used the HS8's on a B20 before?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I' not aware of it having been done but it is something I have thought about having a go with. The manifold will need a bit of working to match them but it would be interesting to see how they work out.
With your cam and headwork they should be fine. We ran 2" SU's from a Jag 30 years ago and we ended up searching for the right carb needles until we modified some to optimise the performance.
A Colortune is very helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEZ0-uN0NA4

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Remember that the street torque cam is a pretty low speed cam. I believe the HS6s or HIF6s will provide all the flow you can use with that cam. If you were getting up into the 7000-10,000 rpm range it MIGHT be worth the effort but 1 3/4" carbs are BIG for a 2 liter engine unless you really crank it.
I used a pair of Jaguar HD8s for a while on a 2130cc B20 but because of in ingested 5/16"-18UNC hex nut into #2 cylinder the block got destroyed (without very serious damage to anything else except the nut, which was DIFFICULT to identify) that project went back to a stock 8-bolt B20 block with 100% 6-bolt innards. Metric maincap and bellhousing bolts.
Beloved racer Jim Perry has that block now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi All,
I'm new to this Forum last week, and actually posted this question unknowing of it being here, in a Head Porting thread as well as one on the Brickboard site. I've worked with the HS8's a few times, since I grew up with them being on the Rover 2000 TC's that our family Dealership sold as well as Rootes Group and SAAB Cars. I'd be willing to bet the one's in question are off of ab Rover as you don't see the HS8's on much else. The easy part will be getting his Fuel Bowl's vertical again once on the Volvo manifold. Usually it's the other way around, All the HS6's are usually sourced from Volvo's when transplanted to TR6's and others and need the Spitfire Fuell Bowl's to get them vertical and proper height on the horizontal TR6 Manifold.

I have one of my sets(HS8's) I intend to use on the 69 P1800 I'm building a B20 for. Mahle +.03 with D-Cam and Headwork. I don't why I've seen in other Threads maybe on another site people talking about it being too much Carb, Needle profiling a potential problem etc., when the original Car mine came off of the Rover 2000 TC, was a 4 pot, 2-Liter, non Crossflow, Heron (Chamber in Piston) Head. with 10 to 1 CR and had 128 HP from the factory and with very tractable drivability. It did have a SOHC cam, but redline was 6500 I think. I haven't looked much at the Volvo Manifold to see how much material is around their present 1 3/4" Bores, but same Bolt pattern. I would make a Cone shaped Electrode in Graphite and burn them in my EDM Die Sinker at work. If it's that close material wise a 1/2" spacer might be able to be used to absorb the transition to 2". Ive done my HD8's over on my Silver Cloud and the HS's are much simpler to work with. I was curious why I've never seen them mentioned here when so many others are, like Webers, Mikuni's, Motorcycle Carbs, FI setups. HS8's should find a fine home on even a mildly tuned B20 when they have the CV aspects that make them hard to get them over Carbureted.
Wayne Lee
Douglas,MA
67 122S Wagon
69 P1800S

·
Registered
19,952 Posts
Hi All,
I'm new to this Forum last week, and actually posted this question unknowing of it being here, in a Head Porting thread as well as one on the Brickboard site. I've worked with the HS8's a few times, since I grew up with them being on the Rover 2000 TC's that our family Dealership sold as well as Rootes Group and SAAB Cars. I'd be willing to bet the one's in question are off of ab Rover as you don't see the HS8's on much else. The easy part will be getting his Fuel Bowl's vertical again once on the Volvo manifold. Usually it's the other way around, All the HS6's are usually sourced from Volvo's when transplanted to TR6's and others and need the Spitfire Fuell Bowl's to get them vertical and proper height on the horizontal TR6 Manifold.

I have one of my sets(HS8's) I intend to use on the 69 P1800 I'm building a B20 for. Mahle +.03 with D-Cam and Headwork. I don't why I've seen in other Threads maybe on another site people talking about it being too much Carb, Needle profiling a potential problem etc., when the original Car mine came off of the Rover 2000 TC, was a 4 pot, 2-Liter, non Crossflow, Heron (Chamber in Piston) Head. with 10 to 1 CR and had 128 HP from the factory and with very tractable drivability. It did have a SOHC cam, but redline was 6500 I think. I haven't looked much at the Volvo Manifold to see how much material is around their present 1 3/4" Bores, but same Bolt pattern. I would make a Cone shaped Electrode in Graphite and burn them in my EDM Die Sinker at work. If it's that close material wise a 1/2" spacer might be able to be used to absorb the transition to 2". Ive done my HD8's over on my Silver Cloud and the HS's are much simpler to work with. I was curious why I've never seen them mentioned here when so many others are, like Webers, Mikuni's, Motorcycle Carbs, FI setups. HS8's should find a fine home on even a mildly tuned B20 when they have the CV aspects that make them hard to get them over Carbureted.
Wayne Lee
Douglas,MA
67 122S Wagon
69 P1800S
Welcome to Swedespeed, Wayne.

Are your Volvos on the web?

George Dill

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi George,

Thanks for the welcome. No they're not. Only a couple on my FB page with the others past and present. I've only gotten the 2 over the past year, and the 122 is set to be a driver while I fix it up. It just needs the front Fenders that I have to finish some work beneath of before spraying and fitting. I'll see if I can insert a pic of them together in the driveway last month.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up getting my hands on a set of Mikuni/Solex 40's, and as of yesterday I now have a set of Weber 45 DCOE 13's to go on instead!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts