SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks, can anyone confirm if this is true? I noticed this was in the Volvo press release regarding the new 2002.5 S80. It sounds as if the new T6 engine is 2.9 liters instead of 2.8 liters like it was before. Hopefully, this will mean more torque and horsepower for the S80 and XC90! <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/biggrin.gif"><P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A new six-cylinder, light-pressure bi-turbo engine has improved low-end torque, which results in quicker acceleration. This is an RN-type engine with reduced inner friction and a displacement of 2.9 liters (same engine block as the naturally aspirated engine). This engine has higher torque at engine speeds under 4,000 rpm, which results in more power and improved response. This new larger displacement engine has variable control of both the intake and exhaust valves. The variable camshaft gives the engine maximum torque at engine speeds from as low as 1,800 rpm (previously at 2,400 rpm). With the two turbochargers, one for each set of three cylinders, the engine reacts very quickly to the throttle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>-Drew
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by InDy:<BR><B>Okay folks, can anyone confirm if this is true? I noticed this was in the Volvo press release regarding the new 2002.5 S80. It sounds as if the new T6 engine is 2.9 liters instead of 2.8 liters like it was before. Hopefully, this will mean more torque and horsepower for the S80 and XC90! <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/biggrin.gif"><P> -Drew</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>That is correct, Drew. The 2002.5 S80 T6s will have a slight increase in displacement which is one of the factors in the increase of both HP and torque; HP jumps to 272!<P>Yannis<P><BR>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Like it was before? The T6 was never a 2.9 ltr engine. I had the first series and it was a 2.8 ltr 268hp engine. This is going to be a first for the turbo model although the normally aspirated model has been this way from its inception. funny how the hp rating is now what it has been rated in Europe for last few years. That means the same engine there may be about 280hp. Yikes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
Question:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vinmanC32:<BR><B>Like it was before? The T6 was never a 2.9 ltr engine.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Answer:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by InDy:<BR><B>...the new T6 engine is 2.9 liters instead of 2.8 liters like it was before.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>He said it was 2.8L before.<P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:<BR><B> <BR>That is correct, Drew. The 2002.5 S80 T6s will have a slight increase in displacement which is one of the factors in the increase of both HP and torque; HP jumps to 272!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Increasing the displacement by 0.1 liters to add 4hp? That's probably the saddest thing I've ever heard <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif"><P><BR>What Volvo should do is open up the restrictive intake they have on the thing. After popping the hood and seeing the intake in person, I can just imagine how that engine suffocates at WOT...<P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by anony00gt:<BR><B>Increasing the displacement by 0.1 liters to add 4hp? That's probably the saddest thing I've ever heard <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif"></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If you only look at the change in HP, it doesn't look like much. Read the quote from the first post. Improved low end torque, quicker acceleration, reduced inner friction, higher torque at under 4,000 rpm, variable control of intake and exhaust valves, and max torque as low as 1,800 rpm (previously at 2,400 rpm).<P>I'd say they did more than just add 4hp through 0.1L of added displacement. <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif"><P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by towerymt:<BR><B> If you only look at the change in HP, it doesn't look like much. Read the quote from the first post. Improved low end torque, quicker acceleration, reduced inner friction, higher torque at under 4,000 rpm, variable control of intake and exhaust valves, and max torque as low as 1,800 rpm (previously at 2,400 rpm).<P>I'd say they did more than just add 4hp through 0.1L of added displacement. <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif"><P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I read the quote from the first post. Sure they talked about more low end torque, but failed to provide any numbers. I'll believe the difference is significant when I see some dyno charts.<BR><P>
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by anony00gt:<BR><B> <BR>I read the quote from the first post. Sure they talked about more low end torque, but failed to provide any numbers. I'll believe the difference is significant when I see some dyno charts.<P><BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Wow, you are a tough..customer! <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/smile.gif"> I believe that torque is up to 210 foot-pounds. Trust me...it is much quicker! I have customers who have driven earlier 2.9s and when they jump into a 2002 2.9 they are totally surprised! It is very quick!<P>Yannis<P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:<BR><B>I believe that torque is up to 210 foot-pounds.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I assume you meant 310, correct?<P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:<BR><B> Wow, you are a tough..customer! <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/smile.gif"> I believe that torque is up to 210 foot-pounds. Trust me...it is much quicker! I have customers who have driven earlier 2.9s and when they jump into a 2002 2.9 they are totally surprised! It is very quick!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by towerymt:<BR><B> I assume you meant 310, correct?<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>310 ft-lbs, now you got my attention. Where does it come and what does the curve look like? Also, what RPM does the hp peak come at? <P><BR>And I still say intake on my father's '00 T6 looks extremely restricted, and judging by the car's almost nonexistant exhaust note, I'd say there are some pretty hefty restrictions there too. But making the car louder would undermine its ability to be a luxury car I guess.<P><BR>Now, for the real question, when is Volvo going to offer the AWD system on the S80 to help put those 310ft-lbs to the ground?<P><BR>And oh yeah, I am definitely a tough customer. How did you ever guess? <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/wink.gif"> <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/tongue.gif"><P>
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top