SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon me from cross-posting this from the 1998-2006 S80 forum, but there are a lot more eyeballs here and this has to do with the same engine as in our V70s, or close enough I hope.

I have a new-to-me 2006 with the 2.5l turbo and it has a coolant leak. It's really minor, and really doesn't reach the ground but evaporates and it's been hard to pin down. It's on the belt side of the engine and it's not the water pump or the radiator.

And... it's not the head gasket - I don't think lol. I stuck a shop rag under the fitting where the upper radiator hose goes to the engine and let it run, and it came out wet. So that's a relief. Have to assume this is the thermostat housing. However, I see it's attached with a couple of Torx screws to another housing that's attached with a couple of Torx screws. At what exactly am I looking here? The first fitting has a smaller hose attached to it that goes under the intake manifold, and I think I'm going to have to remove the power steering pump to get at the rest.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Is it possible that it is just the upper radiator hose that is leaking? That is what happened with my car. I removed it, inspected it with a flashlight, found nothing wrong and reinstalled it and the leak came back. I then installed a new hose and the problem was gone.

Post a pic of what you are talking about as far as the thermostat is concerned, because I don't follow what you are saying. Likely this is a me problem, however.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible that it is just the upper radiator hose that is leaking? That is what happened with my car. I removed it, inspected it with a flashlight, found nothing wrong and reinstalled it and the leak came back. I then installed a new hose and the problem was gone.

Post a pic of what you are talking about as far as the thermostat is concerned, because I don't follow what you are saying. Likely this is a me problem, however.
I really don't think it's the hose, it's pretty visible at the joint and I found no wetness. Only when I stuffed a rag under it did I find moisture, and the engine really need to be hot.

Did some searching and apparently you have to replace the entire housing/thermostat assembly - to the tune of $127 -, though there is a gasket I can get for a couple of bucks,

·
Registered
17,304 Posts
Try the gasket and torque it to spec

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully I can get it tomorrow from Gengras in Meriden, otherwise it's mail order

·
Registered
17,304 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
17,304 Posts
FCP will be doing a 10% discount to make up for not having pickup anymore.

And for coolant, orange? Not Volvo blue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
You can do counter pick up today. Last day. I'm goin in an hour or 2. I have to return my axle core.

On that note FCP is bs now. The only good thing about them was that I can go after work till 8 before and on the weekend. Then they took away late hours and weekend pick up. And now pick up all together. Don't they realize that's what made them appealing? I get the same prices at my volvo dealer cuz they hook me up...so likely not using fcp anymore.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Yeah, I saw those. Too bad they don't have counter service anymore. I'll see if Gengras has it on hand, it's only 15 minutes from work. If not, then FCP. May as well do the hoses and change it over from green to orange antifreeze while I'm in there.
What are you putting Dexcool in it or something lol?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hoses not in stock at FCP anyway..... So I ordered them through the dealer, same price, have them Tuesday. What's everyone got against permanent antifreeze? Its the OE fill in my Porsche and Toyota. If green was the OE on the Volvo, I'll stick with it.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Blue is. Volvo OE. Or Pentafrost. Can get it at NAPA

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pentofst also at Advance... FYI, remember to use Coupon TRT41 on orders over $100, for a $40 discount. Be creative in how you group your orders and you can save a ton :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts