SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning! I have an xc90 with the 2.5t, and it is self destructing. The reason I am posting in this forum is for performance related advice on the 2.5t. It seems this forum might have more performance minded owners than the XC forum. I am impressed with how well the 2.5 motivates my overweight XC, but you can always want more, right? Since most of the used motors I am finding come with no turbo, and I am concerned about the health of my turbo, I am figuring on either rebuilding mine or replacing it. Are there options to consider with the turbo that could improve the vehicles performance and drivability? I noticed a compressor bypass kit that IPD has, and also compressor wheel upgrades available else where. I know a tune will be necessary to make the most of any upgrade, are there some basic things I can do while replacing the motor to put a good base together to make the of an eventual tune?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been looking, it looks like the 16T turbo came on the 850. Would this turbo be the one I need?

04 3500 LB7 C&C
We move Portable Buildings!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what I am seeing in that last article is that I should be able to swap in a TD04-16t with the tilted outlet, correct?

04 3500 LB7 C&C

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Here's what I have.

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/k...os70v70td04hl-16tw7cmangleturbinehousing.aspx

Turbo CHRA should come with both styles of coolant ports tapped and a plug to block off the unused port, contact the seller before purchasing.

-00 turbos have coolant ports on either side of the CHRA, 01- have both coolant ports on one side (back) of the CHRA (this is the style you need). If you purchase a turbo from -00 you can tap in the other port yourself and purchase a plug for the unused port, but that might be more hassle than it's worth.

I highly recommend tuning after swapping in the turbo. You can purchased used if you want, but I highly recommend rebuilding it regardless of condition to increase reliability/longevity.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of the used motors I have found are minus the turbo, so that is why I am thinking about upgrading. The oil I drained out of the motor was full of shavings, so I am sure that wasn't good for the bearings in the turbo. Hopefully the impellor shaft isn't scored any, but if there is a problem, I figure I might as well look at upgrading if it can be done for reasonably similar cost.

04 3500 LB7 C&C

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have found a turbo and am wondering if it is the right one to upgrade mine...

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=321895899989&alt=web

Would this be the correct turbo to use on my 2.5t? I am thinking it may be worth the gamble to buy it and check it for a rebuild. A couple hundred bucks to upgrade my turbo, that seems reasonable. On another note, is there a more desireble exhaust manifold for the 2.5t that I culd get on the lookout for?

04 3500 LB7 C&C

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
No, wrong turbo altogether. It's listed incorrectly.

Here's a side-by-side of my 16T and the 14T

Can you spot the difference for that Ebay listing?

The R exhaust manifold is the one to look out for. Came standard on 05- engines.

http://www.chesh.co.uk/750R/Turbo/manifolds.jpg

Check out or give Erie Vo-Vo a call. They are a huge and reputable used parts distributor, but they don't ship to Canada!:mad:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now will the R manifold bolt to my 2.5T in an XC90? I think I remember Erie having some listings for complete R manifolds and turbo setups.

04 3500 LB7 C&C

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I need the turbo with the air outlet that kicks to the side, correct?

04 3500 LB7 C&C

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
The one that kicks to the side is the stock turbo for the 2.5T, TD04L-14T. The other turbo is the kinugawa TD04HL-16T. The turbo that is coupled to the R manifold that Erie Vo-Vo offers is the KKK K24, which could also work, but you'll need a few more part to make it fit on the 2.5T. The R manifold on it's own will bolt up without issues.

This reminds me. Because the outlet on the 16T is shorter you'll need to get a coupler for the over-the-engine pipe so it can connect properly. As well, the turbo inlet on the 16t is slightly larger, you may need to purchase an upgraded fresh air pipe or rig a coupler to the stock fresh air pipe. Test fit before installing the turbo because it's a bitch to work the intake pipe with the turbo mounted.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. So the main difference physically is the straight cold side output on the turbo I need to find, correct? So if I the correct 16t turbo, and an R manifold, they go together and we are on the way to a good starting point for beefing up the xc?

04 3500 LB7 C&C

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
No, TD04L is different from TD04HL, but you can buy a new turbine housing from kinugawa if you want.

I can't make out the coolant port locations from the pics, but the name plate shows a part number 8601226. Try searching us that number.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was just looking at some things...I think my 2.5T may already have the R style manifold. Or atleast something similiar.

04 3500 LB7 C&C

1 - 20 of 33 Posts