SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all! I hope everyone's day is going much better than mine!
My wife just got back into town from a little overnight trip, and the XC90 is knocking like a steak salesman. Looks like we will be putting a motor in the vehicle. I have been doing some looking online, trying to get an idea of what this will cost us, and that brings up some questions. What is the compatibility between models with the 2.5T? Will the 2.5T from a sedan or wagon work in the XC90? A part of me wants to just drop the pan and try rolling in bearings, but the other part of me knows that will probably be a futile effort, and a waste of money. Is there any kind of reputable large scale Volvo dismantler that would be a good trusted source for a used engine? It looks like we are in for an adventurous late autumn this year!

ROb

·
Registered
404 Posts
Erie Volvo in Whitesboro, NY is very very reputable.
They only dismantle Volvo.
I have bought rims etc. from them, great people to deal with.
They are all about honesty and customer satisfaction.

In totaled cars, they usually start the engine to be sure before they remove it to sell.
Plus they have the mileage of that particular engine too.

Call and speak to them to be sure.

http://www.erievolvo.com/

PS: Whatever you do, replace the WP (Aisin), TB, pulleys x2 in the "new" engine.
Volvo dealer sells the TB and 2 pulleys as a kit.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
2.5t is pretty much 2.5t as long as it has the same CVVT as your engine. Seconded on Erie

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, couple of questions...CVVT? What is that? And cn90, I was typing a question, and realized that TB you mean timing belt...I was reading throttle body, and it made no sense to me at all....I will try to contact Erie. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Continuous Variable Valve Timing.
http://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/vvt.htm
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?49495-Continuous-Variable-Valve-Timing-CVVT-ME7-Discuss

For sure Erie will help you in determining your options. What you're looking for is a good used B5254T2 engine. I think all of the P2 line (S60, S80, V70, XC70, XC90) had them available until the end of MY 2007 but other models may have had it afterwards (Erie will know exactly, it's what they do for a living) so you have more recent and lower mile options than just an XC90 donor. Can do it with other 2.5T engine but there are lots of versions of the 5-cylinder best to go with an engine variant that's exactly what's in your vehicle.

cn90 is right on the money, if you're going to keep the car, make some level of investment in the replacement engine from the get-go. Along with timing belt and auxiliary belt (with rollers and tensioners), water pump, a full PCV service with new parts, possibly new cam seals (front/back) and even a few new hoses just to baseline it. If you're not sure what we're talking about here, get a good mechanic to walk you through some preventative things to do to the replacement BEFORE it gets dropped in. Worth it in the end to pay up front and while the engine's out easy to do.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Erie Volvo in Whitesboro, NY is very very reputable.
They only dismantle Volvo.
I have bought rims etc. from them, great people to deal with.
They are all about honesty and customer satisfaction.

In totaled cars, they usually start the engine to be sure before they remove it to sell.
Plus they have the mileage of that particular engine too.

Call and speak to them to be sure.

http://www.erievolvo.com/

PS: Whatever you do, replace the WP (Aisin), TB, pulleys x2 in the "new" engine.
Volvo dealer sells the TB and 2 pulleys as a kit.
I just wanted to say thank you so much for posting this! I just went to the website and have a list of things I am going to order for my XC90. Things I thought I'd have to just not do, or put off for a while are now totally doable having found erie volvo...THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was definitely planning on a timing belt/water pump replacement while the car was apart. I was thinking about the pcv service as well. It sure seems that would be easier with the motor out the car. What about preference toward a motor from a sedan or wagon? They weigh much less, so it seems they might have had an easier go life...I will have to contact Erie Monday and decide just how much i want to spend. They are showing some low mileage options online, like below 60k. At that mileage I would be tempted to just drop it in. The interval for timing belt is almost 100k, correct?

04 3500 LB7 C&C
We move Portable Buildings!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another thought I had, I probably need to plan on replacing the turbo, and most used engines I am finding online ship sans turbo.

04 3500 LB7 C&C

·
Registered
404 Posts
Another thought I had, I probably need to plan on replacing the turbo, and most used engines I am finding online ship sans turbo.

04 3500 LB7 C&C
How many miles on your turbo?

Many people here rebuild turbo using the rebuild kit. Rebuild only if you have more than 200K on the turbo.
Look on "Matthews Volvo 850 forum (P80)", Ozark Lee posted instruction on how to rebuild turbo there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The mileage doesn't concern me near as much as all the metal shavings in the oil I drained from the motor. It would be much easier to do now than later.

04 3500 LB7 C&C

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
What about preference toward a motor from a sedan or wagon? They weigh much less, so it seems they might have had an easier go life...I will have to contact Erie Monday and decide just how much i want to spend.
You could probably over-analyze this decision, like I would :) IF it were me I would try to find a donor with the lowest miles possible (obvious), and in a sedan like the S80. In my opinion that model was less of a family-hauler and more of an adult-driven executive type car. There were some very subtle differences in the 2.5T that was first introduced into the S80 in mid-2004. For example on my car there is no fuel pressure regulator module on the right side of the fuel rail, I just have a schraeder valve there. That may also be true of other 2004 2.5T donor types (s60/xc-v70/xc90). I don't know what year your current xc90 is and not sure that this matters, but it might.

I would bet, given their location, that Erie Volvo would have an abundance of xc90's and xc70's and lesser amounts of sedans, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, maybe tomorrow I can make some phone calls and get a better idea of what I will be acquiring to make the repair. I am getting some advice on the S60 forum as to some possible performance upgrades I may make while in the middle of all this.

04 3500 LB7 C&C

1 - 12 of 12 Posts