SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the previous owners put or had the plugs put in with the wrong plugs that are 1/8” to long and cross threaded every cylinder but cylinder #1. I have gotten all except 4 and 5 changed. #4 broke off half way down the threads and is seized in there. I’ve tried a screw easy out, a flat screw driver and hammer, and putting the plug back in. Nothing has worked. It’s so seized it won’t budge. I’m trying to do everything besides pulling the head. I’ve been dealing with this since yesterday Saturday July 31st. Any ideas? I’ve ordered a spark plug extractor for the Ford 5.4 Triton to see if that may work. I paid $1500 USD for the car and I really don’t want to put that into it. I could really use some ideas. Thank you!
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Rim
Thimble Audio equipment Spark plug Wood Auto part

Attachments

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Reactions: Grimm Reaper

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried the square bolt extractor and the Ford 5.4 spark plug extractor both a no go! It’s definitely seized. I sprayed PB in it since Saturday every few hours over the weekend. I’m not toooo worried about the threads in the head. A tap and heli coil can fix that I believe.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I tried the square bolt extractor and the Ford 5.4 spark plug extractor both a no go! It’s definitely seized. I sprayed PB in it since Saturday every few hours over the weekend. I’m not toooo worried about the threads in the head. A tap and heli coil can fix that I believe.
Heat

Reactions: Grimm Reaper

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried heating it up just the head and freezing just the threads. Still isn’t working. Tomorrow I’m going to get the piston to the top of the hole and try using a sawzaw blade and cut the threads out then try getting them and the debris off the piston with duct tape on an extension along with a hose taped to a vacuum and lastly spray air down there to get the last of the debris. If this somehow works I cut two slits in an old plug at an angle (top right to bottom left) to create a thread chaser and hopefully the threads can be chased and fixed. If i get into the head threads tap and heli coil it is.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The problem is the threads that have been hanging down in the combustion chamber are fouled. I don't see any way you're going to get away without pulling the head off, one way or the other. I'd stop wasting time and pull it now.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
So in the picture of the one stuck in the socket looks fouled not cross threaded?
They're not cross threaded. The threads that were exposed are clogged with combustion debris and have taken the aluminum threads out with the plug. Common problem with aircraft engines where there are only two different (long and short) "reaches" to deal with. Put short reach plugs in a long reach head and the next time someone puts the right plug in it strips. Put long reach plugs in a short reach head and next time you take the threads out with the plug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We got it!!!! Drilled it out with a 1/2” bit! Had half the threads fall in the cylinder. Ran the tap through. Then went fishing. About 2.5hrs later got the half threads out with coat hanger and magnet. Took the exhaust manifold off and blew air down through the exhaust port and then down through cylinder head. Then ran the magnet more and more. Then blew more air. Put the heli coil in and should be good to go in the morning. Hopefully…..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts