SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 s60 2.5 turbo AWD now has 137k on it. It is consuming about a quart every 3-4k. I know this does not sound like much, but it is a bit more than normal. I could usually go 5k before needing to top her off.

I have owned the car since 27k. Bought CPO. Has had a steady diet of castrol syntec or penzoil platinum. 10w-30 summer, 5w-30 winter. I do a fair amount of highway cruising at 75-85mph. I'm a sales guy so she gets used 25-35k a year.

No oil drips underneath. On pavement or bottom of engine. Slight seeping from turbo seal - has always been that way. No smoke at start up or under heavy load (that I can see from rear view mirror). No signs of oil in the coolant.

My guess is that it is going out the tail pipe.

Change to a high mileage oil?

Other possibilities?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
very common with these engines, my car drinks plenty of oil... high mileage oil might help.. youll see black soot around the tailpipe and many people will tell you this is normal

if it gets really low youll see oil pressure light flash quickly on tight turns, this is your final warning to top off before the engine destroys itself

just keep oil in it and itll keep running... also manual says to fill oil between min and max marks otherwise youll experience higher than normal oil consumption

overfilling wont get you more mileage between fill ups

I always keep a quart in the trunk just in case i'm really far and need to top it off, same as with all my old cars

It wouldnt hurt to pop off the charge tube and check if oil is making it into the intercooler, if it is, you may be in line for PCV job

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
use a thicker 30 weight oil, both of those are relatively "thin" 30 weight oils. Try 0w30 castrol syntec(oftenly referred to as german castrol) or mobil 1 0w40 (a "thin" 40 weight). Not all places will carry these oils. autozone and pepboys carry the 0w30 castrol and oreily carries the 0w40 that i know of.

i always keep the half quart left over from the oil change in the trunk of my car too.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
check the pcv system, you can remove the oil stick with warm engine and see if there any vapor coming there, if yes the system somewhare is not good and will start to burn your oil which is not god. If you remove the charge pipe from the intercooler and see a lot of oil on the turbo your seals are bad, most of the oil get stuck on the intercooler if you are normal driver, some of it will pass to the tail pipe but will not produce enough smoke to be see inside the car.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
use a thicker 30 weight oil, both of those are relatively "thin" 30 weight oils. Try 0w30 castrol syntec(oftenly referred to as german castrol) or mobil 1 0w40 (a "thin" 40 weight). Not all places will carry these oils. autozone and pepboys carry the 0w30 castrol and oreily carries the 0w40 that i know of.

i always keep the half quart left over from the oil change in the trunk of my car too.
+1

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
check the pcv system, you can remove the oil stick with warm engine and see if there any vapor coming there, if yes the system somewhare is not good and will start to burn your oil which is not god. If you remove the charge pipe from the intercooler and see a lot of oil on the turbo your seals are bad, most of the oil get stuck on the intercooler if you are normal driver, some of it will pass to the tail pipe but will not produce enough smoke to be see inside the car.
Which one is the charge pipe?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts