SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just like the title says what do you guys think about a 2.5 inch exhaust vs a 3.0 inch exhaust as far as performance goes for the S40 T-5. there is(were, no longer on special) some companies that have cat back exhausts for the S40 T-5 on sale for $499.99 for a 2.5 inch. other companies have 3.0 incha catback exhausts for $799.99, is the extra .5 really worth is on the T-5? i know on Supra's,STI's and EVO's people always upgrade to a 3 inch because of the amount of HP they are putting down but lets face it are we really going to see and have a performance difference on the S40 with the larger diameter piping?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Re: 2.5 inch VS 3.0 inch cat back exhaust opinions (slo-vo)

Quote, originally posted by slo-vo »
lets face it are we really going to see and have a performance difference on the S40 with the larger diameter piping?

Then just stick with the stocker if that is your logic.

If I had to choose I would go 3", the bigger the better on a turbo application. Will the extra .5" net you a huge difference on our cars? No, but the extra diameter cannot hurt.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2.5 inch VS 3.0 inch cat back exhaust opinions (awd)

Quote, originally posted by awd »

Then just stick with the stocker if that is your logic.

If I had to choose I would go 3", the bigger the better on a turbo application. Will the extra .5" net you a huge difference on our cars? No, but the extra diameter cannot hurt.

that was my question is the 1/2 difference worth it performance wise on a S40 paying 60% more for the 3 inch? your thought is huge difference "NO..................... but extra diameter cannot hurt"

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote, originally posted by slo-vo »

that was my question is the 1/2 difference worth it performance wise on a S40 paying 60% more for the 3 inch? your thought is huge difference "NO..................... but extra diameter cannot hurt"

Will the extra .5" net you a huge difference on our cars? No

It is up to you if paying the extra cash is worth it, it is relative to how much money you have to blow. If you can afford the 3" then I would go for that.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

If you don't mind the noise then you can do 3". Noise is an issue for me so I'm sticking to 2.5".

FYI, I no longer see the sale for EuroSport. Phew, I got in on time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Re: 2.5 inch VS 3.0 inch cat back exhaust opinions (volvoNB)

Quote, originally posted by volvoNB »
If you don't mind the noise then you can do 3". Noise is an issue for me so I'm sticking to 2.5".

That is not entirely true, just because the piping is a larger diameter does not mean it will be louder. Depends on the muffler/resonator setup the exhaust comes with.

My friend has a 3.5" exhaust on his evo and it is pretty quite, I have seen some car with 2.5" exhaust that are very loud.

If it makes a difference I will be going with the Evolve 3" system, which is now available, within the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Will the extra .5" net you a huge difference on our cars? No

It is up to you if paying the extra cash is worth it, it is relative to how much money you have to blow. If you can afford the 3" then I would go for that.

i wouldn't mind spending the money if it really free up a significant amount of HP but i already ordered my 2.5 Eurosport Tuning catback

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 2.5 inch VS 3.0 inch cat back exhaust opinions (volvoNB)

Quote, originally posted by volvoNB »

FYI, I no longer see the sale for EuroSport. Phew, I got in on time.

Yeah i ordered my Eurosport 7 weeks and 1 day ago(not that i'm counting) and can't wait to get it. have you heard anything from them of how much longer the wait will be before shipping happends?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

If it makes a difference I will be going with the Evolve 3" system, which is now available, within the next couple weeks.

yup with out saying names that's what i was comparing was the Evolve 3 inch(799.99) last just came out to the Eurosport Tunning 2.5 inch(499.99) that some of us have ordered.

·
Registered
217 Posts

being the owner of the Evolve 3" cat-back, i dont really feel a big difference between stock and 3".
There is better response, maybe better accelation (like 0.1 sec faster), but i dont feel a huge hp gain. probably cause i dont have chip upgrade yet. maybe the 3" will only boost to max power with chip? idk
my chip and DP is coming soon, and i am planning on doing some dyno's, so i will post it once i got the chart. and let u know if there is really much difference between a stock and 3" cat-back
for now, my suggestion would be, go for 3" if u got some extra cash, since it looks better(IMO). otherwise 2.5" should be enough. (but then again, unless adding a chip will make a huge difference for the 3")

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re: 2.5 inch VS 3.0 inch cat back exhaust opinions (biotek)

according to evolve , "expect a 10 hp increase " with their 3" exhaust. If you look at the various differences between stage levels of say bsr or sct running an 2 1/2 " exhaust vs stock, it seems they also provide about a 10 hp gain. so does the 3" exhaust provide more hp than a 2 1/2? most likely. but HOW MUCH probably not much more. 2-3 hp perhaps. not sure why the above companies offer 3" dps but 2 1/2 exhaust. must be some reason? clearance on lowered cars for example?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: 2.5 inch VS 3.0 inch cat back exhaust opinions (Volvo_girl)

Larger dps from BSR's site:

"The advantage with a full flow exhaust system, preferably combined with a 3 inches down pipe, is that the exhaust is easier evacuated. By using a thicker down pipe the temperature of the turbo is lowered, which enables to retain the overload pressure over a wider range of rpm. The result is increased power and torque from approx 2800rpm. The turbo responds with less delay after changing gear or breaking."
http://www.bsrab.se/products/n331/a240/

A typical rule of thumb is larger pipes move the power up the rpm scale. 3" as opposed to 2.5" could result is a loss of some low end torque but a gain in hp at higher rpms. I'm still running the stock exhaust so I don't have any insight into how our cars will react.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.