SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just like the title says what do you guys think about a 2.5 inch exhaust vs a 3.0 inch exhaust as far as performance goes for the S40 T-5. there is(were, no longer on special) some companies that have cat back exhausts for the S40 T-5 on sale for $499.99 for a 2.5 inch. other companies have 3.0 incha catback exhausts for $799.99, is the extra .5 really worth is on the T-5? i know on Supra's,STI's and EVO's people always upgrade to a 3 inch because of the amount of HP they are putting down but lets face it are we really going to see and have a performance difference on the S40 with the larger diameter piping?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Re: 2.5 inch VS 3.0 inch cat back exhaust opinions (slo-vo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>slo-vo</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lets face it are we really going to see and have a performance difference on the S40 with the larger diameter piping?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Then just stick with the stocker if that is your logic. <p>If I had to choose I would go 3", the bigger the better on a turbo application. Will the extra .5" net you a huge difference on our cars? No, but the extra diameter cannot hurt.<br>

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 2.5 inch VS 3.0 inch cat back exhaust opinions (awd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>awd</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Then just stick with the stocker if that is your logic. <p>If I had to choose I would go 3", the bigger the better on a turbo application. Will the extra .5" net you a huge difference on our cars? No, but the extra diameter cannot hurt.<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p><br>that was my question is the 1/2 difference worth it performance wise on a S40 paying 60% more for the 3 inch? your thought is huge difference "NO..................... but extra diameter cannot hurt"

·
Registered
547 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>slo-vo</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p><br>that was my question is the 1/2 difference worth it performance wise on a S40 paying 60% more for the 3 inch? your thought is huge difference "NO..................... but extra diameter cannot hurt"</TD></TR></TABLE><p><B>Will the extra .5" net you a huge difference on our cars? No</B><p>It is up to you if paying the extra cash is worth it, it is relative to how much money you have to blow. If you can afford the 3" then <B>I would go for that</B>.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

If you don't mind the noise then you can do 3". Noise is an issue for me so I'm sticking to 2.5".<p>FYI, I no longer see the sale for EuroSport. Phew, I got in on time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Re: 2.5 inch VS 3.0 inch cat back exhaust opinions (volvoNB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>volvoNB</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you don't mind the noise then you can do 3". Noise is an issue for me so I'm sticking to 2.5".</TD></TR></TABLE><p>That is not entirely true, just because the piping is a larger diameter does not mean it will be louder. Depends on the muffler/resonator setup the exhaust comes with.<p>My friend has a 3.5" exhaust on his evo and it is pretty quite, I have seen some car with 2.5" exhaust that are very loud.<p>If it makes a difference I will be going with the Evolve 3" system, which is now available, within the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>awd</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p><B>Will the extra .5" net you a huge difference on our cars? No</B><p>It is up to you if paying the extra cash is worth it, it is relative to how much money you have to blow. If you can afford the 3" then <B>I would go for that</B>.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>i wouldn't mind spending the money if it really free up a significant amount of HP but i already ordered my 2.5 Eurosport Tuning catback

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 2.5 inch VS 3.0 inch cat back exhaust opinions (volvoNB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>volvoNB</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you don't mind the noise then you can do 3". Noise is an issue for me so I'm sticking to 2.5".<p>FYI, I no longer see the sale for EuroSport. Phew, I got in on time.</TD></TR></TABLE><p><br>Yeah i ordered my Eurosport 7 weeks and 1 day ago(not that i'm counting) and can't wait to get it. have you heard anything from them of how much longer the wait will be before shipping happends?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>awd</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>If it makes a difference I will be going with the Evolve 3" system, which is now available, within the next couple weeks.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>yup with out saying names that's what i was comparing was the Evolve 3 inch(799.99) last just came out to the Eurosport Tunning 2.5 inch(499.99) that some of us have ordered.

·
Registered
217 Posts

being the owner of the Evolve 3" cat-back, i dont really feel a big difference between stock and 3".<br>There is better response, maybe better accelation (like 0.1 sec faster), but i dont feel a huge hp gain. probably cause i dont have chip upgrade yet. maybe the 3" will only boost to max power with chip? idk<br>my chip and DP is coming soon, and i am planning on doing some dyno's, so i will post it once i got the chart. and let u know if there is really much difference between a stock and 3" cat-back<br>for now, my suggestion would be, go for 3" if u got some extra cash, since it looks better(IMO). otherwise 2.5" should be enough. (but then again, unless adding a chip will make a huge difference for the 3")

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re: 2.5 inch VS 3.0 inch cat back exhaust opinions (biotek)

according to evolve , "expect a 10 hp increase " with their 3" exhaust. If you look at the various differences between stage levels of say bsr or sct running an 2 1/2 " exhaust vs stock, it seems they also provide about a 10 hp gain. so does the 3" exhaust provide more hp than a 2 1/2? most likely. but HOW MUCH probably not much more. 2-3 hp perhaps. not sure why the above companies offer 3" dps but 2 1/2 exhaust. must be some reason? clearance on lowered cars for example?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: 2.5 inch VS 3.0 inch cat back exhaust opinions (Volvo_girl)

Larger dps from BSR's site:<p><I>"The advantage with a full flow exhaust system, preferably combined with a 3 inches down pipe, is that the exhaust is easier evacuated. <B>By using a thicker down pipe the temperature of the turbo is lowered</B>, which enables to retain the overload pressure over a wider range of rpm. The result is increased power and torque from approx 2800rpm. The turbo responds with less delay after changing gear or breaking." </I> <br><A HREF="http://www.bsrab.se/products/n331/a240" TARGET="_blank">http://www.bsrab.se/products/n331/a240</A>/<p>A typical rule of thumb is larger pipes move the power up the rpm scale. 3" as opposed to 2.5" could result is a loss of some low end torque but a gain in hp at higher rpms. I'm still running the stock exhaust so I don't have any insight into how our cars will react.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts