SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i know there are other threads like this out there, believe me i have searched, but i couldnt really find anyone with my same symptoms, or any that were really resolved. So on absolute cold start, such as leaving it overnight, my 2002 2.4t has a real rough idle, and will shudder from between around 900 to 1300 rpm. When this happens, it just feels like the engine is shaking and all the lights inside the car and on the dash flicker as a result of the changing rpm. If i let it sit for a minute or two and rev the engine a few times, it seems to calm down and then sit around 900 rpm. But as i said, this only happens after an absolute cold start, and wont do it at any other time if its be driven throughout the day. Any ideas on what this could result from, or anybody else had this happen and found a definitive cause? Thanks for all the help guys :)

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Any ideas on what this could result from, or anybody else had this happen and found a definitive cause? Thanks for all the help guys :)
mine gets like that when the upper engine mount wears out (about every 3 years or so)

·
Registered
281 Posts
that too. If you replace I'd go with polyurethane so they last longer

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i have heard that the ETM could certainly cause this issue, looks like i have myself a weekend project! It doesn't seem too difficult. I'll definitely have a look at the engine mounts too, i'm sure they have never been changed, and with almost 150,000 miles on the car, they could probably use it!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I plan to do both to my car soon! I'm at about 185,500 now, so let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Just remember 01 and 02 models use digferent etm

·
Registered
517 Posts
Boost leak. Guarantee it. I fixed all the leaks on my car, and the problem that you described went away. No swedespeed member could help me out, and as it seems, it's still the case today. I had a boost leak at the throttle body, at the turbo to OTE pipe, and at the intercooler exit. I guess they all added up. I think the MAF sensor reports one value but the actual air going into the engine is another, so the computer is like wtf until is smooths it out and, not to mention, that on colds starts your computer is always in open loop until it warms up and goes into closed loop. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Boost leak. Guarantee it. I fixed all the leaks on my car, and the problem that you described went away. No swedespeed member could help me out, and as it seems, it's still the case today. I had a boost leak at the throttle body, at the turbo to OTE pipe, and at the intercooler exit. I guess they all added up. I think the MAF sensor reports one value but the actual air going into the engine is another, so the computer is like wtf until is smooths it out and, not to mention, that on colds starts your computer is always in open loop until it warms up and goes into closed loop. Hope this helps.
How did you detect where these leaks were, and then go about fixing them? I could definitely see this as being a problem since the car has fairly high mileage on it

·
Registered
517 Posts
I bought a boost leak tester off of ebay. I hooked up one end to the over the engine intercooler pipe and blocked off the air at different parts of the intercooler system. I didn't plug up the vacuum lines and pcv system at the engine, but ideally that would be the best case scenario. I think I got a few pics I'll try to upload sometime.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought a boost leak tester off of ebay. I hooked up one end to the over the engine intercooler pipe and blocked off the air at different parts of the intercooler system. I didn't plug up the vacuum lines and pcv system at the engine, but ideally that would be the best case scenario. I think I got a few pics I'll try to upload sometime.
Ok yeah pics would definitely help! I'll see if i can find a leak tester anywhere and give that a try along with a clean of the ETM which probably wouldn't hurt to do anyway!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So i know there are other threads like this out there, believe me i have searched, but i couldnt really find anyone with my same symptoms, or any that were really resolved. So on absolute cold start, such as leaving it overnight, my 2002 2.4t has a real rough idle, and will shudder from between around 900 to 1300 rpm. When this happens, it just feels like the engine is shaking and all the lights inside the car and on the dash flicker as a result of the changing rpm. If i let it sit for a minute or two and rev the engine a few times, it seems to calm down and then sit around 900 rpm. But as i said, this only happens after an absolute cold start, and wont do it at any other time if its be driven throughout the day. Any ideas on what this could result from, or anybody else had this happen and found a definitive cause? Thanks for all the help guys :)
I had a similar problem with my 2008 Volvo 2.5t, I know that it is probably related to to sledge in the throttle body, that is a big job! What I have found that works is turning off the air conditioning for the first start, I got this hint from elsewhere. I think, yea the throttle needs cleaning but the other thing is that grounding is not so good as a car gets older, when my car starts the headlights draw 55 watts a piece, plus other stuff Including the air conditioning causes voltage problems

1 - 14 of 14 Posts