SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there I bought a 2001 V70T5 with a conrod poking out of the block. It is in quite good condition apart from needing control arms & tires and is worth spending some time on.

I am not in a position to purchase a used T5 motor and they are rare to find. I have a 2.4T from our 2002 XC70 which is about to be swapped in. I wanted to know if anyone has done this before.

I have taken advice from my indie Volvo repairer who suggests I retain the 13T turbo and it should run ok without CELs. I was wondering what my performance options are (apart from swapping in a T5 motor)

If I retain the blue injectors from the T5 motor would this be a good performance upgrade path for the future? I have a friend who has a 2001 T5 tune who is willing to sell it to me but I was wondering if I should just leave it with a standard 2.4T setup with brown injectors.

All the while it will have a T5 ECM. I can get a 2.4T ECM and have the immobilser section of the T5 ECM cloned over. I am leaning to this setup instead of the mix and match.

Any thoughts or experience with this combo? The T5 block has a 50mm hole so it seems unrepairable at least for now until I get the motor on a stand.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Swap all of the T5 bits... Injectors, turbo etc... And use the T5 ECU. It should work fine. It's .1l of displacement and a .5 compression ratio bump. On the low end a 2.4t does better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Hounddogger for the prompt answer!!
That's pretty much where I want to be in terms of a hardware match. This will allow full T5 performance and perhaps some more low end grunt that the higher compression will allow. I have even heard of 850 T5s running 11:1 compression NA engines with little bother as the engine management system will reduce boost if it spikes.

My indie tried the combo I suggested on one P2 car and swore he would never do it again after CEL nightmares then finally he returned the 13T and brown injectors. Perhaps this was a one off that had a faulty turbo or some other bad component he couldn't trace.

I don't want to be swapping turbos after the engine is already in of course as this is way too hard for me. Was this done by anybody else out there?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Switching injectors requires a re-tune of the ECM. You cannot swap ECM's between cars, they have immobilizers and the vehicle WILL NOT start as it is the wrong ecm for that vehicle. You can easily upgrade anything and have someone such as Hilton write a tune for it. I would probably just keep everything from the V70 T5 and just swap in the long block. You shouldn't get any check engine lights if you keep everything the same electronics wise. If you swap injectors, you will need a retune or risk a check engine light as they will not be match to the ecm.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have means of swapping over Volvo ECMs by cloning the immobiliser section of the ECM board. It's done remotely by a programmer using the Dice interface. I can furnish details on application by PM but that's another story

I was concerned about CELs due to boost issues (overboosting) from the higher compression pistons of the 2.4T motor.

The advice to keep turbo and injectors from the T5 seems to make more sense than keeping it all 2.4T while running a T5 tune.

I srtipped down the motor yesterday and is almost ready to be pulled from the T5. You can see the gaping hole on the exhaust side near cylinder 1

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
You may be confusing compression ratio with torque demand (boost demand). The ECM will adjust boost demand to ECM programming. Boost will not "overboost" due to compression ratio. Boost is the pressure above sea level that allows cylinder filling. I would only suggest obviously using premium fuel to help prevent detonation which would be the only event running just a slightly higher compression ratio but I really don't think a .5 increase will cause any significant detonation issue. ME7 will pull ignition timing if knocking occurs. It can also pull torque demand. Maybe if it was middle of Summer and 100F and you were running higher than stock boost and crappy gas would you have a issue and it won't be from overboost.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks great advice. Will stick with 95 +RON fuel and listen for those rattling noises.

I'm glad that my mechanic friend's experience was a one off and these swaps are commonplace in the Volvo world. Will report in with the build progress.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Today's the day. I have a 800KG electric hoist which is far easier to operate than a hydraulic lift.

Not a nice way for a T5 conrod to end up:

When the conrod cap poked its nose out of the side of the block it nearly tore a hole in the oil feed line just near the banjo bolt. There's a sizable dint in the line however it appears to hold fluid.

I tore the turbo off the block while still attached to all the water piping and exhaust manifold. Someone told me that there is a water piping difference between 2.4Ts and T5s so the plan is to simply swap it in one piece.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Pulled the donor motor yesterday from my 2001 XC70 project car which has yet to be registered. I chose to use this engine due to less mileage than the wife's 2002 XC. It was easier to pull than I recall except I couldn't find that 5th bolt on the angle gear. Here's a pic before swapping the turbo. I will also fit a new RMS. The o rings on sump, PCV, thermostat (Wahle), Hepu water pump, accessory pulley, heater hoses, ECT and timing setup are all new and have zero miles. It has new filter and oil cap seal and is full of oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Build looks absolutely awesome :D Best of luck to you with the 2.4 build they have great tourque in the low end with the higher compression ratio. Don't let people fool you though saying that the .5 difference doesn't matter that much. You just need to be conservative with your Tune and make sure it is absolutely perfect or you will run into detonation (my melted piston is living proof).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All new vacuum hoses and that pesky question mark shaped head to PCV coolant hose. Also emission hoses were replaced with fuel/emission hose.

Block is finally prepped and ready for the 16T and associated cooling pipes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was an ordeal. I'm not as quick as I used to be and was working under laserlight sheeting which let a lot of sun through....Every cooling system hose is new with either fabricated Gates or factory hoses. Half the exhaust studs were out due to binding so that was another hour freeing them.....just the cost of working on a high mileage car.

Tomorrow will drop it in and connect

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Engine is installed.

I went for the first test drive to find a massive oil leak hitting the right driveshaft which, in turn, sprays oil everywhere. It only leaks when under load while driving and not at idle. It MAY be the turbo return pipe where it meets the block as the Victor Reinz oil seal kit contained an O ring which is far from snug.

Chances are I didn't fully tighten the 19mm oil feed banjo bolt so I'm going to wait for it to cool down as it's a 39degC day here and the engine is very hot.

Another thing I noticed is that the motor won't rev to more than 4K when idling yet driveability seems to be fine when in drive.

Also this car has a strange cycle. I start it then engine fan comes on right away then shuts down. About 15 secs later there is a loud click (definitely not A/C and sounds more like tapping a tin can) then engine speed increases to 1000rpm then slowly decreases down to around 600rpm where it should be. This happens only once (upon 15 secs into the startup) and on every startup. It doesn't do this with A/C turned on. It had a total CAN upgrade 2 years ago so it could be something to do with that.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The leak was from the oil return pipe where it met the block. I doused the union with sealant and the leak stopped the next morning. I was surprised at how much pressure is at the return pipe.

Engine seems to run fine even with the quirky idle-finding behaviour. Filled up with premium as it's hot here and I noticed the sound of detonation on full throttle. No CELs though. Thanks for all the help on this one folks! !

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Strange behaviour ceased; probably needed some relearning of the new engine. I was giving it a lot of full throttle bursts as it really did feel good to drive then soon after..........

Biggest problem now is a blown head gasket pressurising the cooling system. It was probably the original HG on that motor so I'm not blaming the installation. Upon overheat it popped the intake cam seal. Luckily I caught it before it drained the sump.

Will deal with this and sell the car shortly afterwards.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can't be of much help with the major issues, but the engine only revving to 4K when not in gear is part of a newer software patch and nothing to be concerned about. My 2001 T5 did that until I got my tune which removed it.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Strange behaviour ceased; probably needed some relearning of the new engine. I was giving it a lot of full throttle bursts as it really did feel good to drive then soon after..........

Biggest problem now is a blown head gasket pressurising the cooling system. It was probably the original HG on that motor so I'm not blaming the installation. Upon overheat it popped the intake cam seal. Luckily I caught it before it drained the sump.

Will deal with this and sell the car shortly afterwards.

That sucks for sure. Reminds of my recent adventure of putting a R engine in a XC90 I picked up from a customer that had a blown engine. Put the R engine in it to find out it needed a transmission. Then put a used trans in it to discover the valve body had a faulty solenoid. Get all that working and both rear wheel bearings noisy. Ugg!
Hopefully you get this licked.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm probably going to put back the T5 head into this 2.4T however investigation with Vida shows that T5 camshafts are a different part number to 2.4T ones.

As the T5 runs higher fuel/air requirements I'm tempted to put the T5 cams in to provide proper breathing at top end of rev scale. Seat of pants driving suggested that bottom end performance was strong however top end seemed breathless.

So it begs the question that if I use T5 cams will they hit the 2.4T pistons given that they are higher compression?

Also I need to measure the cam lobes at their rest position on the T5 cams and compare to the 2.4T cams to see if width is within the same parameter so I get proper valve clearances.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"So it begs the question that if I use T5 cams will they hit the 2.4T pistons given that they are higher compression??"

Any takers on this question? My machinist is preparing the T5 head and cams this week.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My indie told me he hadn't done any real world testing of T5 cams fitted in a 2.4T so I'm using the standard 2.4T cams. It sat for a while until I finally restarted the project. Clearanced the bucket tappets with a feeler guage. Intake was around 0.15mm and most of the exhaust ended up at between .18 and .20mm though sources tell me the exhausts should be closer to 0.40mm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts