SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure some of you already know this but I thought that I would post here and let everybody know that starting with MY2003 cars, those that are currently using the 2.4T Low Pressure Turbo engine, will receive the "new" and enhanced version, 2.5T (base engine for all US-bound XC90s) engine, good for 210HP. All XC70s, base XC90s, S60 2.5Ts, S60 AWDs, V70 2.5Ts, V70 AWDs.

Yannis

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Yannis,

Well, that is good news. So is it official now that the V70 XC is going to be called the XC70 for the 03' model year? I am assuming that it will still carry the 'Cross Country' badging?

-Drew

·
Registered
54 Posts
I cant belive that they are doing that to the Volvo man. Im mad now cuase i got only a 2.4t, and now the new ones are gonna be better and faster. Seriously they should tell buyers about this **** . Are we allowd to upgrade our engine to make it as fast, and how much will it cost. Im thinking of getting a chip, but i dont think its good in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quote:

Originally posted by WiseGuyVolvoS60:
I cant belive that they are doing that to the Volvo man. Im mad now cuase i got only a 2.4t, and now the new ones are gonna be better and faster. Seriously they should tell buyers about this **** . Are we allowd to upgrade our engine to make it as fast, and how much will it cost. Im thinking of getting a chip, but i dont think its good in the long run.
What the heck are you talking about????????????????????????? The way I see it, you have 3 choices:
1. Stay put and be angry (kinda sucks to live like that)
2. Trade your car and get a 2003 (that may make you happy but be prepare to pay the price)
3. Upgrade your ECU and then you can blow the doors off any 2003 S60 2.5T (I think that is the best choice for your wallet and your mental health).

Yannis

P.S. BTW, don't be mad...this is called evolution! Otherwise we would all be driving Jakobs!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yo guys. If they are gonna change the car to a 2.5, then im either gonna take off my stickers, or im gonna just put a 2.5 sticker and do a little upgrade. :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
HAHA Yeah me too. If I'm going to upgrade my XC, then I'm gonna find a wrecked S60 T-5 with spaceball and put that in there, or maybe a T-6. Now either of those would be an engine swap and a half.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
New R is going 2.5 also so this leaves the good old T5, what's happening with this baby??????

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Johann:
New R is going 2.5 also so this leaves the good old T5, what's happening with this baby??????
Two different models. Here we are talking about the 2.4T becoming 2.5T. The T5 and R are two different set-ups, demographics.

Yannis

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:
Two different models. Here we are talking about the 2.4T becoming 2.5T. The T5 and R are two different set-ups, demographics.

Yannis
The new 2.5 R engine is based on the new 2.5T engine!
So my question was, does Volvo change the T5 like they are doing with the 2.4 140 vs 170 HP and the 2.4D vs D5 which are the same engines with electronic power limits and like the new 2.9T6 engine vs. NA 2.9.
Is Volvo going to limit the new 2.5 LPT to 210 HP while this engine is probably capable of doing 260 HP?

checksum,

210 HP, 260 HP, 300 HP (320?)

All the competition is at 260 HP by now.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Johann:
The new 2.5 R engine is based on the new 2.5T engine!
So my question was, does Volvo change the T5 like they are doing with the 2.4 140 vs 170 HP and the 2.4D vs D5 which are the same engines with electronic power limits and like the new 2.9T6 engine vs. NA 2.9.
Is Volvo going to limit the new 2.5 LPT to 210 HP while this engine is probably capable of doing 260 HP?

checksum,

210 HP, 260 HP, 300 HP (320?)

All the competition is at 260 HP by now.

Johann,

I e-mailed my friend in Goteborg and posed the same question. I will be anxiously waiting for her response. The logical explanation would be that they would give the 2003 T5s a "detuned" version of that 2.5T HPT engine, especially since the S60R and V70R look almost exactly as their FWD brethrens. Nothing like the super aggressive versions we saw in the Performance Concept Car...Or, they could make the existing 2.3L HPT engine into a 2.4L HPT...

I would assume that T5s should get at least 255HP...what do you think?

Yannis

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
It seems logical to me that the 2.3 T5 will move up 0.1 liters to a 2.4 T5 variant, but a 2.5 T5 would be even nicer. Since the 2.3 T5 makes 107.4 hp/liter (US Spec), theoretically, a 2.4 T5 might make 257 hp, and a 2.5 T5 would make 268hp. Either way, I think that we are looking at about plus/minus 263hp for the next T5 variant. Sounds damn good to me!

The PCC1/PCC2 both made exactly 125 hp/liter in 2.4 liter form, so theoretically, a the 2.5R should be making about 313 hp or so, about 20 less than the M3.

Who knows what will happen, why is Volvo taking so long with the R's?

-Drew

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
quote:

Originally posted by InDy:
It seems logical to me that the 2.3 T5 will move up 0.1 liters to a 2.4 T5 variant, but a 2.5 T5 would be even nicer. Since the 2.3 T5 makes 107.4 hp/liter (US Spec), theoretically, a 2.4 T5 might make 257 hp, and a 2.5 T5 would make 268hp. Either way, I think that we are looking at about plus/minus 263hp for the next T5 variant. Sounds damn good to me!

The PCC1/PCC2 both made exactly 125 hp/liter in 2.4 liter form, so theoretically, a the 2.5R should be making about 313 hp or so, about 20 less than the M3.

Who knows what will happen, why is Volvo taking so long with the R's?

-Drew
True...we will see, won't we?

One thing that I forgot to mention is that all models will have, MY2003, variable valve timing on both the intake and the exhaust side of the engine.

Yannis

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by InDy:
It seems logical....

-Drew
We are talking Volvo here..when has anyone used logical and Volvo in the same sentence?

My gut feeling since in the S80 T6 the model was boosted from the 2.8L to the 2.9L an turbos added, we might see teh same here...the T5 might just use the 2.5 as the block too. But concidering that Volvo does keep there heads pretty far up they ^$$es that could be just a pipe dream and it gets back to my origional statement!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.